Newbie...so stream of conscious re OR coupling; WDH, Paj tow vehicle

AJC

Jul 1, 2012
ACT
Have bought (pick up this Saturday) a 2011 16.49.1 OB with a Trigg hitch (and range of other options).

I have a Pajero tow vehicle. It has HD 50mm Lovells all round plus Polys so the rear will be strong enough however I’m thinking about steering / braking / rear tyre wear. Also, Mits recommends a WDH where the ball weight is 135 to 250 kg. The van has 150 - 160 kg standard. I’ll be adding some weight to the drawbar via mods once I’ve thought it through (1 x jc holder for backup water; 2nd 9kg gas, bike rack (5 bikes!) and a stone guard [although a stone stomper might be the go for lower weight and won't impinge DB capacity like a trampoline with mudguards]). The spare wheel and or some bikes might end up on the back of the van to counter balance the draw bar mods. I've seem some interesting replacement bumpers here with bikes or spare tyre carrier, but not both...i might have to keep the tyre, 2 gas and JC on the DB and put 3 kids bikes off the back. If the van with tyre and 2 gas DB is approx 160 kg, then 5kg for J/C rack plus 20 kg water plus say 10kg bike rack plus 2 x 15 kg bikes...fully laden DB is say 225kgs (less any counter balance by heavier rear bumper and bike rack...say 20 kg (10 each) plus 3 kids bikes @ 10 kgs each = counter balance of 50kg...still a 175kg DB!

Seems a WDH will be a must. Any comments on a Paj coping without a WDH though?

I'm already thinking about removing weight. I have a 60 ltr gas tank in the dicky seat for D-gas plus a Engel, slide, draw system and cargo barrier in the back already, plus a roof rack for the second spare, then there is revovery gear and other bits there is a bit of laden weight in the back before the ball weight, 3 kids and 2 adults plus gear is added. I'm thinking about removing the draws / slide (ORS) and going to a say 6mm flat board with some marine carpet, mount tie down points to the board for the Engel and use the existing cargo mount points to bolt the board to. That way the Engel is secure and I remove the weight of the draws and slide from the back of the Paj. A cull of excess recovery gear might also be the go - it all adds up!

What WDH?

• Hayman Reece standard or classic 600lb / 275kg?
  • Eazlift 550 lb/ 250kg or 750lb / 340kg?
  • Trojan HD 240kgs?
Triggs are no good for a WDH right? If not, what's a good offroad hitch that will match up with a stone stomper? Also, the hand brake lever will need to sit low as the Paj's door will need to open.

• HitchEzy;
  • Ozhitch;
  • McHitch Uniglide Trailer Coupling;
  • Hitchmaster DO35;
  • Hyland;
  • Alko.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Hi Ajc, you can use a Treg with a WDH by cutting the small locking lugs off, The Treg is the same as the Trigg on the van but a dfferent fitting on the car, picture below.

The DO35 needs an extention on the WDH

Christian

!cid_2DF59FA0EBC24E00A17E78670F433EDB@ChristianPC.jpg

DPP_0003.jpg

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hello and welcome AJC,

I don't know what model paj you have but i have 2010 NT and i'm using a Hayman Reece WDH standard towing a 16-49-1 outback with standard hitch. Personally I like the WDH but i do need poly's also....not much suspension travel on this model. Seeing as you have HD springs and poly's I'd leave the back of your paj as is and try it and if you feel uncomfortable towing (light steering or feeling heavy in back) then maybe try a WDH. I was contemplating going for a Hyland hitch, main reason is for the handle on top that you pull up to unhitch on the standard hitch and i can still use WDH with the Hyland, but as it is i can just clear the handle with my back door as i have the extra drop down tongue for my hitch to get my van level.

Some people on here have put a packer under their hitch so their van sits more level, this will also make the handbrake lever lower but the packer can interfere with the handbrake lever operating so a mod needs to be done to the lever. There is a thread on here about that and maybe someone can post up the link for it, might be under "My Expanda", not sure. As for compensating the weight on the DB, by adding say 20kg to the rear bar doesn't necessarily mean it will be 20kg lighter on the DB, that would depend where your axle is and if it's in the centre which it's normally further back to produce a ball weight. Anyway mate hope this helps a bit and enjoy your new van and the forum.

Cheers
Burnsy.

Feb 1, 2012
Hi AJC,

We are have the same van as yours and towing with a Prado, on this occassion we have gone with the Hyland Hitch and have the hayman reece 600lb WDH. Have not travelled any great distance as of yet but so far so good.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
My research as follows:

Have - Jayco Swan with a Trigg Poly block 3000kg electric brake and cable handbrake hitch.

Bought – Expanda with Trigg 3500kg 50mm ball receiver (hydraulic!!) and Trigg cable handbrake.

Need - Off road hitch that is compatible with a Hayman Reece 600lb / 275 kg weight distribution bar and a Stone Stomper stone guard, at a reasonable price.

Cheapest would be to swap hitches before selling the Swan but:

* Trigg needs a Tregg poly-block receiver for a WDH. I'm told by 'hitch people' that polyblocks on Triggs and Tregs don’t last when been used with a WDH, more so with a van than a lighter camper, and the replacement polyblock is near $200 plus labour to cut the old one out and weld in the new - makes keeping the Trigg and buying a Tregg receiver false economy. Tregg car bracket - $100 w/out pin, $125 with pin

* Similar comment for McHitch receiver for Tregg / Trigg hitch – McHitch says not suitable for vans and polyblocks wear out, only sells them for campers. McHitch conversion for Tregg / Trigg hitch - $95 + $25 WDH adaptor APPROX $120

* Ozhitch conversion for Tregg / Trigg hitch - $180 + $100? WDH adaptor APPROX $280 - At that prices you get to remove the polyblock issue but at $280 is only marginally less than a complete McHitch at $295!

So:

* McHitch Uniglide Trailer Coupling - $295 inclusive handbrake & WDH adaptor APPROX $300 http://www.mchitch.com.au/platinum-series

* Alko 3.5 tonne - $280 to $300 Ebay etc + approx $40 handbrake (no WDH adaptor required) APPROX $320 - $340

* Hyland 3500kg with handbrake - $399 (no WDH adaptor required) APPROX $400

* Tregg 2270 kg - $418 (hitch, car bracket & handbrake) (no WDH adaptor required) APPROX $420

* Ozhitch - $345 inclusive handbrake + $100? WDH adaptor APPROX $450?

* Hitchmaster DO35 - $350 + $61 handbrake + $100 WDH adaptor APPROX $511

* HitchEzy - $795 + $50 WDH adaptor + $50? handbrake APPROX $900

The only benefit I see of AlKo and Hyland are that they do not need WDH adaptors and they run standard 50mm balls so they are fine for the box trailer etc. Not a problem for me as I have two towbars, one with the standard 50mm ball for the box trailer and the bike rack, the other for the van. Hitch people have told me there are problems with AlKo’s new offroad hitch and suggested I stay away from it. Teh AlKo is the only one at the same price point as a McHitch; the Hyland is more expensive. Plus teh mcHitch has the benefit that the van is less stealable as not many cars out there will have the McHitch towpin!

McHitch wins!

AJC I tow an Expanda With 175kg ball and no WDH on a Pajero. As NT Pajeros have pathetic rear suspension travel and spring rates I suspect that MMA recommend a WDH to try and stop the van from smashing the rubber bump stops to bits. With 50mm Lovells I don't think you have the same issue and I would personally see how it tows.

Typically loaded I have 5 up, engel and gennie in the back, and the van loaded to 2t. Last trip I had another 25kg on the drawbar and I thought it towed better, I think I had 16psi in the airbags. I certainly never had the feeling that the front end feels light.

Also MM do a OEM hitch for the Pajero FYI, don't know if it will suit your application though.