Interior Newbie needs help - pull out pantry

Sueade

Apr 1, 2019
Perth
Morning all 8-)
Im happy to say we picked up our 2017 expanda 17.56-2 yesterday wooohooo. I know there are probably threads already on this but i haven't got a clue on what I'm doing haha so will start here. I've been doing searches on this page re pull out pantry installs in expandas and very keen to install one or two in our van. My husband is to scared to install them tho as he's worried about the weight of the shelf and what damage it'll do to the van in the long run. He also works normally with steel so this whole wood thing is freaking him out. So my question is... can i install them? Is it easy enough? Does it cause damage to the walls in the caravan with weight? Any advise is greatly welcomed!! TIA:bounce:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
So long as you fix to a solid cupboard wall using the correct type of screw, not an internal wall they are flimsy ply and are flat out holding the light switches in place, you may need to fit a backing sheet to the cupboard wall, glue and screw then fix you slide out to that, just to give extra strength .... This is for the slide outs that hold sauce bottles and small items for the large versions that have sliders on 2 sides then they seem to hold up very well but the correct size screw plays an important part, Jayco use a lot of the wrong sort so doors and things will fall off in time. (small, metal self tappers in wood, duh !!)

The wood bashers on here should jump in quickly and correct my mistakes, like you better half I like metal bashing......

Oh and welcome to the group, don't be shy, ask away and show us your rig................a friendly mob here which is surprising in this digital age.

Reactions: Sueade

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
If you are screwing into thin wooden ply walls or replacing enlarged screw holes in mdf etc go and get some Superglue thin product.,gel if hole has been enlarged.After screwing in initially take screw out put superglue in screw hole and then screw in . It will never move and the SG will have strengthened all around the area.Be careful ,superglue will run a long way,and it makes a good job of sticking fingers together

Reactions: Sueade

Sueade

Apr 1, 2019
Perth
Th and BJM & Drover ill check it out!! Still very keen on putting one in but now leaning towards a top and bottom slide instead of wall....

But will continue researching haha