Just Browsing Newbie Looking for first Van

**Matt@!

Sep 1, 2014
Hi All
As the post name suggests im a newbie looking to buy my first van/tug combo to start exploring this great country with my young family (wife, kids aged 2+5). Looking to travel through flinders ranges and where ever possible/our car will take us, mostly staying in caravan parks or sites but wouldn’t mind getting a little more 'outback' for small trips every now and then but again most parks.
Tow vehicle will most likely be a Ford Territory Diesel TS AWD but it is not purchased yet so am open to view/opinions on this too as long as they are of similar spec/price (no LC Sahara suggestions please!!)
Obviously the van is really the point of my post, looking at either a Swan, 14.44-4 pop top or 16.49-3 pop top. I think my wife really wants a toilet and or shower but do you really need it when staying in parks mostly and the one van that has it above, it looks very small so not sure if tis worth it?
Having never owned a caravan in my life and my parents never having one either i have no idea, i just know the Jayco name is reliable, they look good and fall within a budget. Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions on these vans. should i be looking at an OB or will a tourer be enough on uneven dirt roads around Flinders Ranges, etc.
Open to suggestions, views and opinions on different models as long as its within reason. Also any suggested options that should really be considered ‘mandatory’ but they still charge for it.
Anything else I should know about caravanning, along the lines of ‘unspoken rules’ that I don't know about!.
I know its alot, but thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome to the forum @**Matt@!. I agree with your wife, the shower/toilet models are the way to go so probably the 16-49-3 would be a good start. Sure the shower is small but it means it is easier to keep clean :D and if heading for the Flinders there will be times when you skip the van parks.

Other members can offer advice on the tug you are thinking about as there are a number of them on the forum.

Good luck with your search, ask as many questions as you like and keep us posted.

homerJ

Aug 30, 2014
Hi. We toured for five months in a swan with our 14yrs, 8yrs and 2 yr olds and enjoyed it. However, the unpack and pack if you are touring is a bit long and I found if it was hot by the time I packed it all up and got ready to go I was well and truly ready for a shower. We also found that the fact that you really had to set it up to use it (roof and beds out) that we didnt get as much day use out of it when travelling (lunches and afternoon tea etc).

We have just bought an expanda outback 16.49-1 mainly due to the super quick setup and you can use the van when travelling without setting it all up. We chose the hard cover ended one as it seemed easier to open and close over the other type.

Really happy.

Patto

Jul 14, 2013
Perth
Welcome @**Matt@! . We purchased our first caravan, a 16.49-3 about 12 months ago. When we were looking, we tossed up the same 3 models you are. My wife also preferred the toilet/shower combo and 12 months later its definitely been worth it. We use the van shower all the time, and the toilet less so, mainly for late night/early morning visits. Also means we don't have to traipse with the kids (7 and 10) to the shower block for late night toilet visits. Never having used a caravan shower before I've been surprised how good (hot and strong pressure)it has been. Some people have had problems with water pressure, but ours has been really good.

With the good resale value of Jaycos, we thought there wouldn't be much difference in cost (once resale accounted for) in the 3 models, and we think we'd enjoy and get more use out of the bigger van with shower/toilet.

As for tug, we also looked at 2nd hand Territory to replace my wifes car, but ended up trading mine for a JGC.

Best of luck with your research.

Reactions: **Matt@!

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We brought a Starcraft 17-58-1 as we had 4 kids.. so ended up with no toilet. Would of liked one for late night walks.. Last trip I carried the kids as it was wet :(
I would go the outback myself even not offroad.. Although check the height.
We also wanted a bed per child.. So did not want them sharing the double on the Expanda.
You can hire one if your not too sure we did.
If you look second hand you may of may not save much $'s. Depends..
Starcraft 17-58-3 like ours although toilet/shower instead of third bunk.
Journey 17-55-5SH. Or older Discovery 17-55-5Sh if you get one secondhand same layout

There are a lot of choices.. So have a look and see what you like.
Same as tow vehicles :)

Reactions: BigSkiddy

NickM87

Jun 7, 2014
Perth WA
Hi @**Matt@! Im taking delivery of a brand new holden colorado 7 this friday as i was looking for a new tug for a while and seriously considered the territory but felt the colorado wagon had much more internal room, more torque and good value at 50k drive away for top model, worth a look.

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Just sold our 2013 swan for a van. The toilet shower wasnt such a big deal and the setting up and packing didnt really bother me... untill we arrived at one camp spot and it was raining. The major issue is the wind.
A Swan is a perfect weather van anything less than a sunny, no wind day there a pain in the ass.
So unless you want to plan all your trips a couple of days before you leave so you know what the weather is like I would go the van. As for a 14 or 16 no idea, justdont go the camper trailer.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Welcome @**Matt@!
Can't help re the Territory but for traveling long term I'd definitely go the expanda.. Size would have to be determined yourself and the boss. Recommend doing the rounds and comparing them!! We also originally looked at upgrading from a tent to a Swan, or similar, but after seeing a few being setup decided against them and went the 16.49.3.

We weren't specifically looking for the toilet/shower model but after having two with them now would not go without them :)

As for "Unspoken Rules"... None on here but the "Spoken Rule" is...... Plenty of pics and reports when you get one ;)

**Matt@!

Sep 1, 2014
Thanks to all your great opinions! Im blown away by the positve and great appraoch, seen some forums where its a little different!

Judging from the comments on people who have had toilets and shower models the appear very happy with them and i hadnt even thought about the late night visits so i think thats pretty much made my mind up right away! I was originally looking at the swan to keep the price down and make it more appraochable for the wife, but i think it may be the whole hog!

I also like the idea of of being easier to pack and unpack and use for stops along the way, makes sense no that i think about that stuff!

As for the recommend on tugs, its funny i had actually looked at a few of the recommends, was looking at an Isuzu MU-X/Colorado 7 but as is the wifes car (i have a mid size car i use to run to and from work, thats all) she wants it more comfy and techy than the they offer. Love the JGC and Paj options but again as they are for the wife she thinks their too big, but in saying that she likes the look of the JGC and the heated non leather seats, so will see what she likes when we are are ready to sign on the line, i also like the massve torque and towing capacity of the JGC CRD!

@Patto looks like i may end up with your setup!

Than again and keep anything more coming, its greatly appreciate

Reactions: BigSkiddy and Patto

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We almost brought a Swan as size and $'s then I looked and saw most people upgrade a few years later.. So thought put the extra cash in now, also setup is a lot longer.. We actually started looking at soft floor campers around $5k.. so spent a lot more.
If your thinking of #3 eventually a 17.56-2 is a little bigger and bottom bunk can be a kids table.

I would also look at one with a bigger fridge to start with the standard 90l is small for a family
If you look second hand you can get one with extras annex, fridge etc for the cheaper if your lucky. You also do not have 3-5 month wait.

Reactions: Bluey

Hoffy

Jun 10, 2014
Gold Coast, Queensland
Well, we did buy a Swan!! I heard a funny thing on this forum a while back saying that the swan should come with a warning sticker "will upgrade to an expanda very soon" and thats exactly what we did!!
We bought it brand new May of 2013 and have had some great trips in it. Very surprising on how large it is inside and with a full annex, there is loads of room for a family.
We love the Swan BUT the setup and pack up can be quitely timely, especially if it is windy, and when you have little ones, trying to keep them occupied while this is being done is a nightmare. We always had our sights on eventually a full van but dollar wise the Swan was our stepping stone.
After experience high winds with rain earlier this year and having an absolute nightmare packing up, we bit the bullet and decided to purchase the outback expanda. We definately went with the toilet/shower combo as those midnight toilet runs can be demanding, especially when you just get back from taking on little monster, then the other monster decides they now want to go!!
We pick up our new van in November, and we are very very excited!!
We tow our van with a Prado 150 series and love it!!
Good luck!!

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Welcome @**Matt@! .
As suggested by @davemc if it's in your budget definitely have a serious look at the StarCraft 17.58-3 or the Journey 17.55.5SH.
I have the Discovery 17.55.5SH (replaced by the Journey) and previously was using my parents 1980 Viscount which had no toilet. With the 2 kids it's definitely worth it.

Try and get the Outback version as there is less chance of dragging the arse of your van and having that extra clearance will allow you to get to that perfect site rather than the okay one. Plus resale will be better if the whole caravanning experience doesn't suit.
Personally I don't like the idea of setting up an Expanda :behindsofa: but I can appreciate that they do give you a bit more room.

Your looking in the right direction re the JGC, has the towing capacity of the LC Sahara, without the price tag.

Good luck!

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
What can I say that hasn't already been said,
Go the Outback with shower/dunny, if you think the kids will be OK on the same bed then 16-49-3 will be fine, If not maybe look at a 17-56-2 as said. or Discovery/Journey 17-55-5s
Diesel Territory is a good tug buy all accounts, but I'm bias look at the Pajero too:D they aren't that much bigger than the Terri, then again find something suitable with the biggest tow capacity, because then in the future when you get the urge to upgrade (and you will) you wont have to worry to much about weight issues.

Last edited:

**Matt@!

Sep 1, 2014
Thanks again for all your advice although my initial budget seems like it gone out the window (jgc and van vs territory and swan!)

I will keep looking around and go to a few shows before we decide and buy anything!! Will definitely keep all your suggestions in tow as we make our final decision!

Thanks all!

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Hi @**Matt@! And welcome to the forum.

We went straight to the 17.56-2OB for toilet and shower (loaded with plenty of optional extras - 2.6t loaded up) and big space for the first van.
I planned on a big trip around oz with 2 & 4 YO but in the end didn't get made redundant (a bonus in one way not in others...).

My only consideration now is the it's big and heavy when getting off the black top (I don't have a LC or Disco pulling it...) so keep that in mind if you like exploring.

Love our Expanda and I will highly recommend toilet and shower with the little ones - makes it so much easier.

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Howdy I can not highly recommend a awd diesel territory a nuff we got one and tow a 20/63-1 with no problems at all and comfortable

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Thanks again for all your advice although my initial budget seems like it gone out the window (jgc and van vs territory and swan!)

I will keep looking around and go to a few shows before we decide and buy anything!! Will definitely keep all your suggestions in tow as we make our final decision!

Thanks all!
plenty advice here this forum is so good and the people in it we did the same as ligedy but different car 07 prado diesel auto 1756-2 outback pulls it easly first van for us and love it good luck

Reactions: **Matt@! and Ligedy

Hoffy

Jun 10, 2014
Gold Coast, Queensland
Hi @**Matt@!
If you do decide on a Swan, we will be putting ours up for sale this month so we have time to sell it before our Expanda is ready in November.
It is only 12 months old and has lots of extras!!
Just food for thought!!
Cheers, Hoffy