Newbie from Central West NSW

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
HI there everyone,
I live in a small town near Orange called Molong, aboriginal for place of many rocks, of which there are plenty. We bought a small acreage of 3.5 acres, of which about two is rock, so if anyone wants rock for their garden, help yourself.

Anyhow, there are five of us in total, three kids (boy, girl, boy) all under the age of 9. The family enjoys fourwheel driving and camping, along with being with friends and spending time with like minded folk.

I currently own a jayco Eagle Outback. We have owned it for the past 22 months and loving it, but it has been decided by the wife that a bigger and easier setup is required. SO we have put the Eagle out to soar, but it has not yet taken off.

In the mean time we have been looking at the expanda 17.56-2 outback edition with the following inclusions:
 12 months registration
 Roll out awning
 Wind up TV antenna
 Larger 150l fridge
 Privacy screens
 Solar 120w with 30amp regulator
 2x100amp batteries
 Anderson plug to charge the batteries from car
 External fold out table
 Extra 82l water tank (total of 246L)
 Extra annex light (on right hand side middle)
 Extra trunk door at side (access the seat under dining)
 Gas bayonet fitting on A frame
 Shelving in robe next to fridge (3 shelves – 4 spaces)
 Control panel (level indicator) for batteries and water
 12v/solar cooling fan to fridge
 Shock Proof swivel coupling
 Simplicity suspension
 16" tyres 245/70/16
 Roof mounted air conditioner in lieu of cabinet mounted unit
 LED lights fitted throughout (internal and external lights)

We have been given a quote of $48900, but have not yet haggled with the dealer. All fittings will be completed in the factory so compliance plates will reflect the extra weight.

Currently the dealer says that if we order now the delivery date would be March 2012, which I don't mind as it will allow some extra time to save some more money for other extras needed to the tug.

Besides that, we will be getting all of the items we would like, such as bigger tyres and different suspension.

Looking forward to meeting you on or off the road.

Cheers Mick

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Welcome Mick,

Looks like a comprehensive list. Sure would make camping easier with three kids.

I also have a Patrol, my 2 inch lift went in today, very happy:thumb:

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
That's the plan, make life easier. One of the mods needed to the tug, is suspension, got a few quotes ranging from 1700-2000, for full 2" lift with steering damper and castor kits, OME being $2k and Tough dog being $1700, but didn't include castor correction where as OME did.

Where abouts in the Gong do you live? I grew up in Woonona, left in 1996 to go to Tennant Creek for work.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I'm not far from the Uni. Wish i could afford Wonoona:thumb:

I got my kit from suspension stuff online. They are based in QLD. Give them a call, they are very helpful. Check out their mates rates kits online (no affiliation, just happy with their service).

The kit i went for had Dobinson coils, lovells shocks (rebranded as suspension stuff shocks) and Raw4x4 steering dampener (also rebranded as suspension stuff) plus OME swaybar extension bracket and brake bracket all for $920 delivered. Got my mechanic to fit it all for about $250 (my savings over ARB etc went towards a stone stomper!). Didn't get castor correction bushes and don't think i will need to.

I nearly went down the OME/TJM/Tough Dog path but had a limited budget, and from the research i did, I feel i got just as good products without paying for exorbitant marketing campaigns. 5 year warranty on shocks..........beat that ARB!:evil:

Good luck with your research, i found i a little over whelming trying to sift through everything and determine facts from marketing crap.

Reactions: MolongMick

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
Thats a good list of extras Mick. i like the idea of extra shelves in the robe, its not like you take a lot of clothes camping that require hanging space.

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
G'Day Mick, fancy seeing you here...LOL

The extras are similar to what we are waiting on as well but in an 18 series...only a month to go...wooohooo

Good to see another Patrol driver as well,,, WELCOME

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
NissPat, i know you fromNissan Patrol forum, it's a small world.

Yeah We want this van to be complete with everything needed for those trips. The 17.56 seems to have everything we want, and it allows the kids to bring a friend along if they want.
Still need to sell the Eagle first before all the paperwork gets done.
Come on Trading post, do your job.

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
NissPat, i know you fromNissan Patrol forum, it's a small world.

Yeah We want this van to be complete with everything needed for those trips. The 17.56 seems to have everything we want, and it allows the kids to bring a friend along if they want.
Still need to sell the Eagle first before all the paperwork gets done.
Come on Trading post, do your job.

Yeah mate, Hope you can sell the Eagle quickly .
I'm trying to sell me auto Patrol to get a manual so I can tow over 2500kg

matt

Aug 20, 2011
Brisvegas
welcome, I joined a couple of months ago the advice from people has been brilliant, likewise.... upgrading from OB Hawk to Panda 14, yes the 17ft would be very nice, but for us it's a 14 ft with space issues living in the city , cheers matt

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
THanks for the welcome.

We haven't had any nibbles on the Eagle yet, just need to play the waiting game.
Will let you all know the moment it happens, hopefully very soon.

Cheers Mick

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
It took about 1 1/2 months to sell our Hawk. Was a bit nervous waiting, but you shouldn't have any problems selling it.

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
G'Day Mick,

Took us over 8 weeks to sell our Eagle. There are a great van & in demand. Just advertise on a few different sites, It will sell eventually.

All the best,

Paul.