new van

Cruiser 06

Jun 2, 2012
brisbane qld
hi all picked up the van 2 weeks ago handover was very exciting but took about 3 hours.i am a cabinetmaker so i was all over the cupboards they did a preety good job. it only took me 3 hours to get it to my standard.here is some pic of the 1st trip to neurum creek.so much better than the camper trailer.here's a tip for beginers don't use a butane cooker on the fold down table as it blistered the stickers .

Attachments

• IMG_0543.JPG
    IMG_0543.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0732.JPG
    IMG_0732.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0734.JPG
    IMG_0734.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0737.JPG
    IMG_0737.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0739.JPG
    IMG_0739.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0740.JPG
    IMG_0740.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0741.JPG
    IMG_0741.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0745.JPG
    IMG_0745.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0747.JPG
    IMG_0747.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 213
  • IMG_0721.JPG
    IMG_0721.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 241

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Congrats on your new van. Nerrum Creek is on our list for weekend trips We've heard it's great for the kids :)

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
That is awesome, talk about a burger with the lot! Is that 5x 12v power outlets on the outside of the van? Now that's just unnatural. Looks like the homeless have moved into the top bunk .. once they move in and squat they are very difficult to extract. Good luck with it ... nice van!

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi guys,
Congrats on the new van, how did find the handover process. As a newbie to vanning i have some questions, We will be collecting our new van in about 4 weeks from probably the same place. Did they take the time to run through everything clearly, did they rush you through. When did they do the install (electric brakes) on your vehicle or did you already have them installed. did you find any issues at pickup or at the shakedown.
Congrats again, and thanks for the info about the camp ground, we will put it on our list.
Thanks
Jason

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Cruiser 06,

Congrats on a super van - looks great. Looking forward to more great pics and tales of your travels.

Holden_man - You will need to have your electric brake controller fitted by yourself, an auto electrician or a towing centre prior to going to handover. Also, if the dealer supplied you with a 12 pin plug, this will need to be fitted and the additional earth and positive cable run from your car's main or auxiliary battery. You will need to have auto reset circuit breakers for both the electric break controller and any additional power that you need to run to the plug at the back of the vehicle. Took my auto electrician and myself the best part of a day to put both the electric brake controller and extra power cables for the plugs in. Pays to plan ahead and leave yourself some time.

Cheers,

Ro

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi ro,
Thanks for the info, the brake controller install and fridge wire install was included in the van price. So not sure if they organise for it to be done at pickup or before. So to be honest I don't have a clue what will be required of me. I expect when they ring to tell me the van has arrived I will have that conversation with them. But if you or others have experience of this then any info is appreciated.

Thx - jas

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Jas,

Does the dealer you are buying your van from also do auto electrical work (brake controllers & additional wiring), or has someone do it for them? I suggest you give the dealer a call and get this clarified quick smart.

The dealer in Bendigo offered to throw in a break controller and they also offered to arrange with the 4wd centre up the road from them to have all the controllers and wiring installed. However, I wanted a proportional brake controller in the Tekonsha P3, so I bought my own, and also wanted my auto electrician to do the work so if something went wrong I can get it fixed quickly.

As this is also my first van, it pays to do some research about the difference in brake controller technology - I learnt a huge amount from this forum and many others.

Cheers,

Rohan

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
When I was shopping around I had the same experience. A few dealers offered to 'throw in' a Haymen reece controller but were quoting $400 install from the guy up the road. Pretty pricey I thought.
I got a Teconsha P3 (?spelling) on ebay and got my local guy to install.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi ro,
I suspect they have their preferred Auto Elec do the install. I just double checked my contract, after reading your last post. It says," prodigy brake controller supply and install" Had to pay a little extra for the P3, and it was definitely the help of you guys that prompted me to price that in. It's going to be a bugger fitting it to the Prado, was looking at the redarc for that reason, but decided to push ahead with a proportional controller based on members info. So p3 it is.
It also says in the contract " Fridge wiring to 12pin plug in vehicle (RM2553)" so fingers crossed that covers the heavier 12v wiring in the car.
Will shoot them an email to check though.
Thanks for your advice, it's appreciated.