17' Series New van - new member

Del Boy

Jul 25, 2018
Bellarine Peninsula, Victoria
G'day all

We have just purchased our first van moving up from having a camper trailer for the last 8 or so years.

17.56-1 to be picked up in about three weeks, looking forward to some much quicker setups, which means we should hopefully get away more regularly.

I've already found loads of useful information browsing this site, so thought I'd register and say Hi

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome aboard @Del Boy, enjoy the forum. Lots of great info and ideas from friendly members (plus the odd stirrer but they’re OK too). You will enjoy the new van just like most of our members who have come the same route as you through campers to the Expandas.

Reactions: Del Boy

Del Boy

Jul 25, 2018
Thanks Crusty181, we have the tourer. I have been looking at these with some envy over the last few years away on trips when their owners are sitting down with a cold one while I am still putting up the camper trailer.

Crossy

Dec 3, 2017
Canberra
Know the feeling, we loved our camper trailer but upgraded to an Expanda and love it even more. Probably couldn't get the Expanda some of the places we took the camper (only a few spots down the beach). We enjoy the ease of set up and options for additional comfort. The thing that really spooked me in the camper was a few nights in high winds, having said that there was actually never any damage the next morning, just a lack of sleep from worrying there would be!! (that's just me I suppose). We have found that if you make frequent trips, its much easier to prep in the Expanda and we have a pop top version. Its all just great fun getting out there whatever you are in.

Reactions: Del Boy

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Drive a little longer on those long drives because the setup is minimal. Dinner can be started as soon as you park, setting up the bed ends can take second place. You can just flop overnight in a rest area. Very simple to setup after dark. Being able to access the inside of the van on the side of the road is great, for lunch etc.

With the kids we could stop for lunch at a town park on the way through town and let the kids run wild, burning energy, saving time and $$$. We've occasionally sat in the van eating lunch watching TV whilst the kids are amusing themselves in the park. No need to pop the roof for a lunch stop. In Busselton we parked side on to the skate park whilst the young fella enhanced his skills. We could watch him out the door with out feet up watching the news having a coffee. These are some of the many treats that await you

Last edited:

Del Boy

Jul 25, 2018
Thanks guys,

Even though we had an off road camper we pretty much ended up at parks anyway and when we went for an extended stay we set up for two weeks and stayed in one spot as it was too much effort to breakdown and set up again somewhere new.

I started out camping in tents before moving on to the camper and now as the body gets older and seems to be breaking down I do want the ease of set up but with a feel of still being under canvas when sleeping. I think the Expanda gives that feel while having loads of room and good equipment and while being relatively compact and light weight for towing.

I am looking forward to staying in different spots over an extended holiday but also just being able to hook up and go for a weekend away. I hadn't considered the other advantage provided by the van during the actual journey so that is another added bonus