Swift New tyres for Swifty.

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
For those in the know, Swifty is not an off road van. Swifty is your average on road lady. With you very average on road highway tyres of the 165 variety. She also sports the slipper springs.
So, although the tyres are excellent, I am thinking of changing. She has 14 inche wheels.
For those if you who have been there and done that, what tyres have you put on yours? I am thinking mild all terrain, but of the variety that might smooth out the corrugations when I go to Cameron Corner.
Thanks.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hi Stan
I definitely go with a set of good All Terrains probably of Light Truck construction, though Swifty isn't that heavy. probably not that much of an issue.

I'm sure Bush Palace (our resident tyre guru) will be along and give you the good oil on what's what.

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
@Stan53 stick to a light truck construction for your tyres as they have a heavier sidewall which enables you to handle some extra weight also go for a A/T type tread now youve got the 80 series and maybe wanting to do a bit more dirt work will help your needs . When i get to work tomorrow ill give you a few options ..
Cheers

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
@Stan53 stick to a light truck construction for your tyres as they have a heavier sidewall which enables you to handle some extra weight also go for a A/T type tread now youve got the 80 series and maybe wanting to do a bit more dirt work will help your needs . When i get to work tomorrow ill give you a few options ..
Cheers
Stan in that size tyre your pretty limited to what you can fit , going wider your going to higher as well and in a 195/14 plenty of hwy l/t but if you stick to your 185/14 Maxxis do a 753 M/T which we retail for $140 and are a 102 load rating .

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
1. What does M/T stand for?
2. As I said before, Swifty has a slipper spring suspension. That is, it has a spring shackle only at one end of the spring. The other end just slides on a plate. Some one suggested putting in a longer shackle to increase ground clearance. That's a bit pointless as ground clearance is governed largely by the axle and the diameter of the tyre. I want to smooth out the bumps. Any ideas?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Get the muddies Stan and then with a decent load rating you can drop the pressures on the rough stuff to give your van a better ride.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Stan in that size tyre your pretty limited to what you can fit , going wider your going to higher as well and in a 195/14 plenty of hwy l/t but if you stick to your 185/14 Maxxis do a 753 M/T which we retail for $140 and are a 102 load rating .

If I could get tyres for any of my rigs for a $140 I'd be a happy camper?

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
No tyre expert , but channel nine just had a story showing that the age of the tyre is on the side, ie four digit number. 3109 means 31 st week of 2009, tyre life span was quoted 5 to 6 years due to them perish and cracking occurring after that, some dealers have stock for years before fitting, one lady purchased new tyres but they were already three years old.
Maybe worth checking what they are going to fit.

Reactions: Stan53

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Stan if you are keeping to your weight in the camper and drive sensibly especially in the corrugations you should be fine.

Really the danger with slippers is with a lot of suspension travel and oscillations they have been known to come out. You'd have to be unlucky on your rig. The only real fix is to get her modified to eye to eye springs which is a lot of work. And even then they can break and leave you stranded, actually I have heard of more broken springs stories than slippers coming out! The quality tyres run a sensible pressures and speed will see you fine IMO

Reactions: Stan53

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Ok, so now Swifty sports a brand new set of shoes. 3 for $410. I'm happy with that. They are Maxxis 753 M/T tyres. I like the tyres though I was disappointed to find they are the same width that was already on Swifty. Unfortunately the only way I could get wider was to wait for them to be ordered. Note to self: Next time do more home work.
In another thread I go into the difficulties of getting the spare off the back of Swifty. Well, that ain't all. The wheels on the axles weren't any better. No sir. One nut was on so tight it took a long length of pipe with some brute force to shift it.
Also, the tyres are set at 40 psi. That seems very high to me. Swifty only weighs around a tonne wringing wet in her hob nailed boots. I would have thought 30 maybe 35 at the out side would be better?
What you all think?

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
image.jpg
Here is the picture of the new tyre on the back if Swifty.
And can some one advise on tyre pressure? 40 PSI seems awfully high to me.

Reactions: crackacoldie

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
For those tyres Stan stick to 40 psi on the black top then they will wear even but dont forget to drop the pressure on the dirt around 28/30 psi
cheers Russell
ps check your wheel nuts after about 100 km they have been known to work loose

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Thanks Russell. I thought it was high. But will see. I will apply the 4 PSI rule and see what transpires.
And yes, I'll drop the pressures when I hit the dirt. I drop the pressures on Toy80 to around 26 for the dirt. Sure makes difference to the ride.