Swift NEW SWIFT OWNERS HAVING TROUBLE WINDING UP

Nicnew

Dec 31, 2016
Kirrawee, NSW
We have just purchased a 1994 Jayswift offroad and with the kids an my excitement hassled my husband into opening her up today for the first time.

My husband gave into us and started winding it up and then realised we didn't undo the 4 latches around the camper first.

We quickly wound down the small bit that we were able to unwind and undid the 4 latches before re-attempting to wind it up. 3 sides will wind up but the front right side keeps dropping. You can push it up whilst someone else winds it up but that front ride side will still be a foot lower than the other 3 sides.

Any suggestions please?

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
You need to get into the space where the winding mechanism is and check the attachment of the cables. It's a bit fiddly but I think you'll find one of the cables has become detached.
Make sure there's no pressure on the cable before trying to reattach it. Take it slowly snd carefully but it is doable.
Use a piece of wood or similar to hold up and realign the roof before reattaching the cable.You've officially broken the record for winding mechanism issues! Ours happened after about 12 months.

Good luck with it....and make a list of steps to tske, in order, when opening and closing. ...and everything else.

Reactions: bigcol

Nicnew

Dec 31, 2016
Kirrawee, NSW
You need to get into the space where the winding mechanism is and check the attachment of the cables. It's a bit fiddly but I think you'll find one of the cables has become detached.
Make sure there's no pressure on the cable before trying to reattach it. Take it slowly snd carefully but it is doable.
Use a piece of wood or similar to hold up and realign the roof before reattaching the cable.You've officially broken the record for winding mechanism issues! Ours happened after about 12 months.

Good luck with it....and make a list of steps to tske, in order, when opening and closing. ...and everything else.

Hey Dobbie, you are exactly right and we've done everything you suggested. Only problem now is we can't get to the other end of the cable because the other end of the cable is inside the silver bit that holds the roof up and there's just not quite enough cable to reattach it at the broken end if that makes sense.

And right again mate we are onto the list of steps to take when opening and closing.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
You've now got two choices ...either disassemble the area around the silver bit or take it to a caravan repair shop somewhere.

From memory, the cable is usually a bit longer than needed so, if you can get to it, it may be possible to just reattach ...depends on whether the cable has enough left.

Ours broke many years ago so I can't recall the details but I do know we used the existing cable....it was just long enough. Lots of cursing, skinned knuckles and perseverence was the approach....and I think we attacked it from the area next to the dinette.

I'll bet you won't do that again....we certainly didn't.

I just realised the silver bit is the concertinered upright and, if the cable is broken in there, I'd give up and go and have a beer while you thumb through the yellow pages or do a google search. Some other forums may be able to help as well. It sounds like a new cable might be needed.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
depending on how handy "Hubby" is - you may be able to re-attach the broken bits together

if not, as @Dobbie said, google / phone repair shops

sorry, and a real pity, but a new learning curve for you

also, as @Dobbie says - make a list for setup and put away

Van level and stable
legs down
4 clamps un done
winder ready
start winding - lift up 1 foot - any noises, and clicking, no... continue

after a few times it ill become second nature to you

dont stress, we are all learning all the time

Nicnew

Dec 31, 2016
Kirrawee, NSW
You've now got two choices ...either disassemble the area around the silver bit or take it to a caravan repair shop somewhere.

From memory, the cable is usually a bit longer than needed so, if you can get to it, it may be possible to just reattach ...depends on whether the cable has enough left.

Ours broke many years ago so I can't recall the details but I do know we used the existing cable....it was just long enough. Lots of cursing, skinned knuckles and perseverence was the approach....and I think we attacked it from the area next to the dinette.

I'll bet you won't do that again....we certainly didn't.

I just realised the silver bit is the concertinered upright and, if the cable is broken in there, I'd give up and go and have a beer while you thumb through the yellow pages or do a google search. Some other forums may be able to help as well. It sounds like a new cable might be needed.

Gee thanks so much for all your advice, very much appreciated guys.