New starcraft

stormpatrol

Oct 26, 2011
newy/nsw
Our new starcraft is locking the left hand van wheel every time we apply the brakes , tug is fitted with tow pro elite , also have tow secure breakaway and alko ESC , we had to get our daughter to tow the van home i might add with no wheel lock at all, ok the second tug did not activate the ESC it was also fitted with the same model tow pro elite , any ideas , our tow pro was flashing yellow an purple this means limp mode we think i also rang redarc they say that the tow pro can't lock one wheel , that i agree with so is it the ESC unit ??

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
ESC breaks both wheels as well so that should not cause it (unless one of the wires has come loose) and then it should have happened with you daughters car as well (unless the wiring to your car is incorrect) has it ever worked on you car ?

My guess (very uneducated one) is that your left hand wheel breaks are set to break harder causing the lockup. When your daughter towed it her car breaking controller may have been set at a lower setting and therefore this would mean that the left wheel was still braking harder but the car was doing more braking.
The "Limp Mode" flashing is usually caused by a poor connection somewhere. What type of controller does your daughter have ?

Does that make sense to our more "Van Brake Educated" friends ?

Reactions: stormpatrol

stormpatrol

Oct 26, 2011
newy/nsw
Daughter has the same controller , tow pro elite it behaved as per normal on the trip home some 100 kms the only thing i forgot to say was the tow secure battery in my van was dead flat , as for the brakes we backed the left hand side off 10 clicks on the adjuster when we stopped in denman this had no effect at all my car still attached at this stage . Ok i have read that jayco wire up the esc and tow secure as one , that has got me thinking and will buy new battery friday and fit and test saturday , i will let u know the results , i won't be happy if this is the case as i have also been told tow secure only charges when you are towing , that is just plain stupid as far as I'm concerned , should be charging off 240 as well , ill be back

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Mate just picked up his new Expanda last month and the new version of the Tow Secure Breakaway no longer has its own battery but is connected to the campers battery. (He didn't opt for a battery so at handover, it wouldn't operate. Dealer didn't realise about this until day of handover so had to give him a free battery to allow him to leave their yard)

Reactions: stormpatrol

stormpatrol

Oct 26, 2011
newy/nsw
OK back home today checked all wiring about to go buy a new battery also i checked and the tow secure does charge with 240 volt and car just need to fit up new battery and go for a test drive , see what goes on this time, fingers x

stormpatrol

Oct 26, 2011
newy/nsw
Well Well the tow secure unit on the drawbar is stuck on full of water how do i know this ,when i fitted the new battery for the tow secure the brake lights came on so we started at the front and by belting the top of the actuator the lights go off , would you think this item should be waterproof its out in the elements , just gotta larf out loud the rubbish these so called companies sell us

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Yeah similar thing happened on a mates Boat trailer the breakaway unit got wet and failed, he was told no warranty because it got wet.
They mounted it at the bottom of the winch post he went to fair trading and they asked the trailer company to replace as good will, They then mounted it at the top of the winch post and you would bloody hit your knuckles when you winched in the boat (I reckon they did it on purpose)

Still in you case why is it only the left side that was locking up and why did it work on your daughters car ?

stormpatrol

Oct 26, 2011
newy/nsw
As far as we can work out the brakes are or were getting feedback from somewhere causing the left wheel to lockup , so far new battery in tow secure ,new tow secure activate switch on drawbar going out to test her now fingers. X