16' Series New roof holding water.

turbopsi

Mar 22, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Hi All

We had the roof replaced on our 2011 16.49 expanda. The original roof must have had a slight curve on it as it never held water. The new roof however holds heaps of water and when putting the roof down after some rain it buckets off the roof!

I'm thinking Jayco must have changed the roof design to a somewhat flat design. Can anyone with an expands that's less than a year or two old confirm if what I'm now experiencing is the new normal?

Thanks

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Never seen a good Jayco poptop roof yet.Plenty of dips and hollows in ours.Most seem to drain the water one way or another.Put a straight edge across yours and see what the dip is.Not good if holding too much water.

Reactions: turbopsi

turbopsi

Mar 22, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Never seen a good Jayco poptop roof yet.Plenty of dips and hollows in ours.Most seem to drain the water one way or another.Put a straight edge across yours and see what the dip is.Not good if holding too much water.
Thanks, do you know how bad it has to be to have a good case for a complaint?

turbopsi

Mar 22, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Heres some pics. Front section seems to be the worst.

Attachments

• IMG_20201206_173918231_MP.jpg
    IMG_20201206_173918231_MP.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_20201206_174020148_MP.jpg
    IMG_20201206_174020148_MP.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 426

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
They still have a weak timber frame in the roof this is why they are all over the place unfortunately but apparently they will soon have an aluminium frame and if the guys on the floor remember to weld them the problem should be resolved but for now it’s the way they are

Reactions: Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Coromals will have a series of lakes and ponds amongst the dips and buckles on their full sized roofs

Rusty01

Jan 4, 2021
Brisbane
Hi All

We had the roof replaced on our 2011 16.49 expanda. The original roof must have had a slight curve on it as it never held water. The new roof however holds heaps of water and when putting the roof down after some rain it buckets off the roof!

I'm thinking Jayco must have changed the roof design to a somewhat flat design. Can anyone with an expands that's less than a year or two old confirm if what I'm now experiencing is the new normal?

Thanks
I have a 2016 17ft, first roof held 53 litres then had it replaced and it now holds 42 litres. It is like a waterfall when I drop the roof

Attachments

• 20210103_144454.mp4
    15.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Wow
Reactions: Drover

turbopsi

Mar 22, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I have a 2016 17ft, first roof held 53 litres then had it replaced and it now holds 42 litres. It is like a waterfall when I drop the roof

Jayco have agreed to assess the roof. 1. I wasn't hopeful they would actually replace it. 2. Now I'm not hopeful that a replacement will be much better.

Ours is like a waterfall when you drop the roof as well.

Cheers for the video.

• Sad
Reactions: Drover

Rusty01

Jan 4, 2021
Brisbane
Jayco have agreed to assess the roof. 1. I wasn't hopeful they would actually replace it. 2. Now I'm not hopeful that a replacement will be much better.

Ours is like a waterfall when you drop the roof as well.

Cheers for the video.
If they do install a new roof, insist they check it before you leave.

Reactions: turbopsi

turbopsi

Mar 22, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Guys. Just an update. After having the Caravan assessed by two different caravan repairers of which one was an authorized Jayco repairer as listed on their website the warranty claim on the sag was denied.

The authorized repairer was told the sag has to be greater than 25mm vs another member on this forum was told 15mm and had their roof replaced. I have requested an official Jayco document specifying an acceptable roof sag tolerance of which they have refused to provide stating it's an internal only document and is to not be shared publicly.. All this legally doesn't sound right to me, having a warranty claim knocked back on a tolerance limit on which Jayco will not disclose?

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Like the other owners complaint re roof holding 53 litres,that is an extra 53 kilos sitting up there.Time to say fix it or further action will be instigated.A roof is not meant to turn in to a bath ,or is that a Jayco extra we didnt know about.?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi Guys. Just an update. After having the Caravan assessed by two different caravan repairers of which one was an authorized Jayco repairer as listed on their website the warranty claim on the sag was denied.

The authorized repairer was told the sag has to be greater than 25mm vs another member on this forum was told 15mm and had their roof replaced. I have requested an official Jayco document specifying an acceptable roof sag tolerance of which they have refused to provide stating it's an internal only document and is to not be shared publicly.. All this legally doesn't sound right to me, having a warranty claim knocked back on a tolerance limit on which Jayco will not disclose?
In your case, Jayco has just called your bluff and created an arbitrary self-serving measurement based on horse $hit to fobbed you off, and it's not the first time they've rolled out that chestnut. Historically this is very typically Jayco, if you have a major failure 4 years out of warranty no problem, but a design fault??? ... they take it to the grave. Unfortunately, feet stomping will generally achieve nothing. Our Consumer Affairs is completely useless and likely only engaging legal representation along with the relevant experts, and pulling them on legally will yield any results. You'll often see on Faceache the hordes of numbnuts barking out all this crap about 'fit for purpose' etc ... again, thats all empty rubbish unless you intend to roll the dice and sue them.

I had one sagging canvas bed end on an Expanda and after repeatedly getting no joy t the dealer I drove it to the factory in Dandenong. After a group management meeting in the corner away from me, and some think music, like you they invented a convenient yet uncorroborated and baseless self-serving yardstick on the spot and despite the craziness of that yardstick they tied to sell it like it was real and documented ..... what an insult I would then ask for that document ... doh!!!! I was told by the factory service manager that it was "within the tolerances of the production line" ...... really? ..... what the hell does that even mean ..... somehow the gaggle convinced each other that the second rate production line, design failure and rubbish build quality could somehow actually become the defense; a sort of "we're so $hit, and we're good at that so its all good". I offered to accept that with a written response that the bed ends are designed to capture, and hold 35ltrs of water; and that the water storage system only applies to the rear bed, or that they modify the front bed end to likewise capture and store exactly 35lts of water (because the front bed end was fine). They ultimately removed and modified the troublesome bed end, and my 2009 16.49.1OB Expanda was the only Expanda ever that didn't have a factory-supplied saggy read bed. That was many years ago, many managers ago and I suspect they way more arrogant now.

Jayco had been making Expandas for 6 years and every single one had rips in the underside of the mattress from the naked bolt threads in the plate mount. After a had my mattress replaced twice in a few months all Expandas then (and still do) came with plastic caps in those threads. For years after the Expanda hard lids came out, the front bed rubber seal on the hard lid on every Expanda was slashed at the two forwardly angled strike plates for the lid catches (anyone will now rush out to the carport and check theirs. Youll only see it opening the lid and looking from the inside). Jayco were very aware of that because I had mine replaced 3 times and told them Ill keep coming back. I dont think that's ever been fixed and bending the strike plate backwards is all it takes to resolve it

Last edited:

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Dare I say it ,but I took FCA ,Jeep, to NCAT around six years ago re a world wide safety recall they kept on fobbing off.! Dealer was as bad as FCA.In the end I hand delivered a letter of demand to the dealer service manager and a registered one to the lying b———d at FCA.Fix in 14 days or further legal action instigated.That certainly woke them up.Judge agreed ,fix in 14 days. Or give me a new vehicle..Won the case plus went for monetary redress for all the fuel,time spent backward and forwarding with the dealer idiots.Got the money as well.As Crusty stated no use blowing up a storm unless you willing to go in hard.Just remember ACCC still have Jayco and FCA on notice re dodgy consumer warranties etc.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Way back in the dark ages a new FWD came about, I bought one of the first models, it was very flash, BUT the engine would cough or shut down on a stinking hot day and get bluddy hot while crawling along a creek bed, my investigation found that the had fitted a dinky little fan that just didn't provide the air flow, their response was to replace the coil, a bit more argy, bargy and they could see my point but said they haven't had any other cmplaints to which i pointed out I'm one of the few that go bush. Gave them 2 weeks before I went to a NSWFWD Clubs conference and as a Magazine Editor would certainly spread the word, a new viscous multi bladed fan of larger proportion from the diesel was fitted, problem solved... Lo and Behold later models had a new fan......... a win in the days before any sort of ACCC it was rare to have a win.

No one ever told you not to park under trees as branches can fall on you.......................................................... ;)