14' Series New member

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Picking up a new 14.44-4 OB in two days. Will be our first Caravan after using tents. Have been researching camper trailers for a long time, took the misses to see some and she saw a Swan, eagle etc. Had a Swan almost ordered then the dealer showed us the 14.44 to see colours of interior to help us choose for the Swan. On drive home we liked to look of the 14.44 so much we changed out mind and went back a few days later to have a better look. So we went from tents to looking at camper trailers, ending up skipping that step and now our surprise we are going to be baby caran owners.

Van is pretty standard with just a bike rack and tv ant. Has dual gas bottles which I dont think was standard too. Have a few plans like a Joolca HWS. I only just discovered this forum so getting more ideas all the time. Hope to be able to do most mods myself but have never worked on a Caravan so it will be a leaning experience.

Looking forward to researching some mods and our first mini trip will be a weeks after we get it.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Welcome @JT76, youll be happy woth your descision to skip the camper trailer !!

We did the same, straight from tents to the expanda, and we love it !!

Reactions: JT76

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes South West Rocks is great, we camped there for a week last easter!

@NoWorries yes already thinking and planning of some small mods but to be honest we think we will be pretty happy as is, but a HWS and outside shower will still be one of the first additions. We might have optioned it in as its a new van but it was a runout 15 model so was happy with the price and to add things as we need it.

Already planning some trips, from weekends away to possibly bigger trips around Tassy and possibly a trip to the Rock in due time.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome aboard @JT76. You will be very happy with the 14 footer, We had a 14-44-3 for 4 years and covered a heck of a lot of Oz in that time including 6 weeks in Tassie. It is a good van to take down there due to the fact the ferry cost is on total rig length width and height.'

The dealer can fit an external shower, ours came from Newcastle Jayco and they fitted one for us even though we had the internal shower and toilet.

Reactions: Delano and JT76

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Welcome to the forum @JT76 . Skipping the camper trailer part will be one of the best moves you made..... We did the same and went from tenting to a second hand 16.49.3 tourer. That lasted tree years before we upgraded!
Did the same as you... looking around at campers then spotted the expanda and walked out with a receipt for a deposit!!!!!

Looking forward to seeing pics of the van, your trips and mods :)

A lot of knowledgeable and friendly (Well most of us on here are ;) ) So if any questions or advice need just ask and I'm sure you will get all the help needed to spend your hard earned $'s!!

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Pick up is Friday so no long wait.

Once its in our driveway ill stick my head under and see how it all looks as one of my first projects will be to add a 12v pump to the water tank. I have seen a few posts on here already which should give me a head start.

I am hoping I can run a 12v pump off a second oulet from the tank (if they have two outlets?) so I still have the hand pump if needed. The 12v pump would then T into the mains line with a one way valve in main line so it doesn't pump back to the filler. Might need a second one way valve after pump unless its part of the pump to stop main line filling tank if that makes sense. It also has a drawbar main tap so the 12v pump if placed before that should let me draw from the tank if needed (for external shower when no access to mains water). This will be my first project but its all new to me so have to work out how easy it is to run power to pump which will be under chassis, im hoping it will be easy but I didnt look under it at the dealer so have no idea how everything is run.

Im sure when I get stuck this forum will be a big help!