New 17.56.2 Jayco Expanda Outback

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Its here......

After 5 months of waiting :D I was down at the Jayco yard doing a bit of detective work with the partner in crime and the little ones and I think I won the prize.

There was a few of them in the yard but this was the only one that ticked all of our spec boxes so at guess I think its ours!

100_1431.JPG

100_1427.JPG

100_1429.JPG

100_1428.JPG

100_1425.JPG

100_1430.JPG

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Picked the van up yesterday!

Jayco Sydney has been fantastic, always ready for a discussion on anything technical with the van, always ready to help you out and always on time! Second delivery of a van with no slippage to delivery and no hiccups! Fantastic work Jayco Sydney :)

Handover was very easy for the guy as we had done one in December 09 and it was the same guy :)

We only asked for an explanation of the things we didn't previously have!

Everything is where it is supposed to be and working great.

The van towed exceptionally well, we have had pretty high winds in NSW so there was a bit of an extra grip on the steering wheel! That said she tracks very straight and you hardly notice she is there!

Overall absoutely love the layout of the 17.56.2 compared to the 16.49.2 this one is unreal ;)

The dual tables is fantastic for the kids, they can be separated from the adults but not to far and the extra bench space in the kitchen and position of the outlets etc is very well done!

Jodie25

Nov 10, 2010
picasaweb.google.com
I love the van, and I am hoping my car can tow one, can you tell me what the GVM and the Ball weight is on yours Please?? I am having conflicting advice. I really do need this size as I have 3 kiddies and plan for another!!

Oh and anyone reading this - are their any new ones or second hand (with HL) around?? I have rung Adel, Bayswater, Sydney, Mt Gambier.

Jodie25

Nov 10, 2010
picasaweb.google.com
Hey Expanda, I noticed on another post your tow vehicle is 2000KG, which is the same as mine my ball weight is 180kg. So its nice to see that yours towed well. I so hope we can sort it out. :) I do hope you can tell me your compliance plate weights... Please.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
I love the van, and I am hoping my car can tow one, can you tell me what the GVM and the Ball weight is on yours Please?? I am having conflicting advice. I really do need this size as I have 3 kiddies and plan for another!!

Oh and anyone reading this - are their any new ones or second hand (with HL) around?? I have rung Adel, Bayswater, Sydney, Mt Gambier.

Hey Expanda, I noticed on another post your tow vehicle is 2000KG, which is the same as mine my ball weight is 180kg. So its nice to see that yours towed well. I so hope we can sort it out. :) I do hope you can tell me your compliance plate weights... Please.

Hi Jodie25 welcome to the site apologies I did not get back to you sooner!

The weights for the vans are as follows -

17.56.2 Non Outback (Standard)

Approx Tare: 1747kg
Approx GTM: 2073kg
Approx ATM: 2222kg

17.56.2 Outback

Approx Tare: 1932kg
Approx GTM: 2259kg
Approx ATM: 2350kg

Now in terms of our vehicle, we where under the impression that we could go with the non outback expanda as it only weigh roughly 1.7T and our tow vehicle was rated to 2T.

We where going to just reduce any additional extras, for instance upgrading the fridge and aircon can add 80kg's of weight before doing anything. We where then also planning on packing most stuff in the vehicle so the van would be within limits.

So I rang the RTA and they advised me that I had to have a vehicle that was rated to the ATM. The RTA advised this was becuase the trailer was rated at this at its maximum it must be towed with a vehicle capable of handling this ATM.

I rang my insurance company to confirm there thoughts as I was now in panic mode :). My insurance company refused to stated which weight they would go off but advised similary to what the RTA did.

The debate of which weight you must conform to is very much a hot topic on many forums but I chose to upgrade my car to a 2.5T limit and purchase the outback model given the extra weight I was allowed.

Probably not the new you where looking for but I hope this helps some what.

Which tow vehicle do you have?

Jodie25

Nov 10, 2010
picasaweb.google.com
Mmmmm, yeah not really what I want to hear. :( we have a Kia Grand Carnival, we need it as by the time we have No 4. we will still have them all in car seats needing anchor points, plus I love the car. Looks like I am going to have to do some thinking.

Thanks so much for your time on this.

Steve

Nov 12, 2010
Jodie, We have a Kia Grand and towed our 16.49 outback up to Queensland last year towed well used lots of fuel tho. 20lts to the 100ks. Have since sold van to update into a 17.56 Outback. Got a good deal from Ballarat Jayco, Scott & Tim worth talking to they advised me to sell our 12 month old 16.49 private which I did picked up 2 grand more than I paid for it new. We have 5 kids and the 16.49 bunks model did us really well, but we are doing the big around Aussie trip in June 11 so need a toilet/shower and abit more room. Brought a 02 Patrol to tow it but the wife wouldn't let the Kia go.

Pick up the new van 15/12 been waiting 4 months to get it built but will be well worth it. Just some advise when looking for a van if you are buying new get in early becauce if you want a new one built you won't get it before March next year. If you are buying a second hand one by it in the off season (winter) as people get annoyed with all that money sitting in the shed or backyard and sell them off at a reduced price. If you do your research and don't rush into it you can save alot of money, I did. Good luck & I hope you find an Expanda the suits your towing needs.

Jodie25

Nov 10, 2010
picasaweb.google.com
Thanks Steve

I have to laugh at the wife not wanting to get rid of the Kia, I have just asked hubby to sell the c'dore to get a territory so we can tow the 17!! Fingers crossed that I can do some fast talking. I have got my hands on 3 17. 1 second hand 1 demo and 1 new all avail now, but I would talk to ballarat too!

oh let me know when you get your new one - how exciting.

Jodie25

Nov 10, 2010
picasaweb.google.com
Hi all,

Well I couldn't talk the hubby round to the 17. so I have just bought the 16.49.3. its a year old has an annexe and tow pac. I used it on the w/e towed it by myself, set up and towed it home again. I love it. maybe in a few years we will get the 17. But for now I am really happy with the 16. I have just bought the privacy screens and hope to put them on this w/e, as we did get a bit of dampness without them. I cant wait to use it again in a weeks time and then again after xmas.

Merry Christmas everyone and happy and safe expandaring!!

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
No illusion I swear :)

Taps as follows

1) Electric pump tap - Standard with hotwater / shower models
2) Hand pump - For when you have no power comes standard
3) Water filter - Optional extra which filters your water from tank and mains

So the water filter is the extra one :)