Naked Tow vehicle. What accessories should be on the car right from purchase?

During our 3 months in WA I learned that a snorkel, a winch, a bullbar and LED-spotties are essential when driving offroad.
(yes, decent tires, springs, … and an experienced driver are good to have as well)

Which ones of these accessories are "must-have" when purchasing a second-hand-car – which ones are easy to adapt on the car after buy?
Thanks for your experiences – will be a great help for me when looking for the right car.

PS: Don't want so start a new thread, but what are your experiences with aluminium canopies.
I love them and our car should have one for easy access to bits & pieces while on our 12-months-big-lap.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Bull bar the rest is not really essential but led light bar would be a possible but only if you want to do night driving, no need if just sticking to day running which having done millions of Kms out west, at night I can assure you it isn't a great experience and shouldn't be needed on holidays.... Roos will smash a set of ,$700 spotties before thr things can get dirty....
Snorkels are good for keeping dust out if fitted correctly and not a Chinese bit of deforming rubbish... In over 45 yrs of FWD never owned a winch other than a large hand winch.....
They look cool though.... An air compressor is a must .
Depends what you mean by alloy canopy a shed like mine ? or a metal version of a tub canopy? I vote for the shed on a tray.

Thanks @Drover, you once again added a lot of information for me!
I did like the spotties a lot during our trip up and down in WA, but yes you are right. 12 months of time should not force us driving during night.
Hopefully, in the first 6 months I will gain a lot of experience by "try and error" (that's why I might need some rescue equipment like a winch, a proper jack, …) to be later able to do tougher routes like "the Gibb" or even parts of the "OTT". I guess a snorkel isn't wrong when crossing rivers. Air compressor is a MUST.

Damn am I lucky to live in Austria. All we need is a set of good winter tires to face all the challenges.

Yeah, I think "shed on a tray" is the expression I was looking for. Someone also called it a "workman canopy".
Something like this: https://goo.gl/images/xaA7gZ.
I just want something that is easy accessible. Not during driving but when we have set up.
Especially with drawers and boxes. Otherwise it is one big pile of stuff after some days. Don't want that again.

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
Beefed up suspension would be my top of my list. If you fit a ‘shed on a tray’ (stuffed full of gear) to the tow vehicle plus have a fully loaded van hitched on then the rear end will be dragging on the ground.

Outback Aussie roads will kill overloaded suspension really fast.

Reactions: Jack Lucy & Josh

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The shed on my rig means I have easy access to my gear, no need for extra weight of drawers and such of course easy to overload tubs and sheds but many folks carry too much crap, that's also why adding extras like a winch, spotties, big racks, if they aren't in regular use then leave them, save some Kgs.
Of course as mentioned by @2slow , decent suspension is a must. IMG_1535439023224.jpg

Reactions: Jack Lucy & Josh