Toy Hauler my15 WnP, love it..... But has a few issues....

nawill

May 18, 2015
Queanbeyan
So I took posession of my 2015 WnP, and took it for a 7night trip to check it out.....

Overall I am stoked with the van.... For a family who free camp all the time, this layout is spot on.
Open up the back and the kids can come and go as they please, then at packing time,just throw all the kids crap in the back and close it up!
Taking the postie bike/mx bike and surfboards is a bonus
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Anyway, a few issues with it need sorting out, and I was hoping you guys may be able to help by comparing to other vans:

1) the end rail for the bed end tent seems to be mounted too narrow.
When packing it down the rail won't fold down over the mattress, like it did on my last pop top camper.....
This means that to pack up, you have to lift the mattress out, lay the rail down on the base then drop the mattress back in. I'm sure it's not meant to be like that....
The mattress is 1850, the gap between the ends of the rail is 1805.
image.jpeg

The rail is mounted inside the lugs, leaving a large gap between it and the canvas corner it is supposed to support..... I'm thinking it looks like it should be mounted on the outside of the lug, where it will better support the canvas, and will also give ~60mm wider gap so will clear the mattress and enable it to lay down on top of the mattress when stowing:
image.jpeg

I have had a few other stuff ups from the factory, and want to make sure this is not another before I drill it out and remount it myself, so wanted to ask other WnP owners how their rail is mounted....
inside or outside this lug? Does your rail fold down on top of your mattress?

Thanks in advance,
I will add other issues in new posts

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
that, Sir @nawill maybe the answer to why some have said they cannot close that bar down over the mattress

I wonder if they had that pole made a wee bit short, and they tried to "fudge" it to still use them

mine (16.49.1) is on the outside of that bracket

nawill

May 18, 2015
Queanbeyan
Issue 2)
Jayco did not fit 2 of the tie down points on the floor plan at the front of the compartment......
I was tossing up if this is good or bad.... I now have the opportunity to place them where I like....
I have seen them custom fitted on top of the wheel arches, but also know this is not structurally sound. I have heard of some people having no problems just by reinforcing the wheel arch with angle screwed into all the corners.....
Anybody in here done similar on the wheel arch? Would like to see your pics.

nawill

May 18, 2015
Queanbeyan
that, Sir @nawill maybe the answer to why some have said they cannot close that bar down over the mattress

I wonder if they had that pole made a wee bit short, and they tried to "fudge" it to still use them

mine (16.49.1) is on the outside of that bracket

Thanks @bigcol
Mounting to the outside of the bracket would clear the mattress perfectly, I don't think that is a coincidence,
there is plenty of flex in the bar to move it without affecting the length..... It looks to me like an assembly error..... Knowing that yours is on the outside sort of confirms it.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
there was a few on here before talking about the Bar not fitting over the top of the mattress

@dagree
hows your memory............??

Can remember seeing the post but cannot find it...... I have an issue with closing our rear bed but it's not the width causing issues it's the location of the mattress (Top to bottom of the inside door??)... Have to push the mattress inwards before closing the bed end!!!!!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Have to push the mattress inwards before closing the bed end!!!!!

when I do the straps up on the mattress, I make sure its as far forward (towards the front of the bed) as I can
my biggest problem is, I usually fold the doona, and have that in the space created by folding the mattress, also under the straps

drop bed end
put in "hockey stick"
un-clip the 2 straps
fold mattress over
fold doona over

bed made.........

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
I need to check the bars on my bed I case they did that to ours. One thing I found and do not like is the way the wires are bolted on up top of the van. They put them around the wrong way in my books. The end of the bolts rub against the canvas when shut. Do others have the same, or are the bolts around the other way? Am thinking of turning them around, but don't want to stuff it up if they aren't meant to be the other way.

willobee

Apr 8, 2015
Perth
Hi all my 16.49.4 seems to have the same thing and in the demonstration by caravanland just showed strapping it down over the top of the mattress.
No chance of mine sitting flat on the bed end.

Reactions: dagree

nawill

May 18, 2015
Queanbeyan
So, I had s chat with the dealer, he agreed with me on how it looks like an annembly error, but all the other vans in the lot were same, but also suffered the problem...... He said he would look into it..

I was doing some mods on the van to fit up a toolbox, and decided to sort this out without waiting for feedback from the dealer...
Drilled out the rivet, through drilled the bar and remounted with a bolt +nylock nut on the outside of the lug.
Problem solved, bed now packs up perfectly.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
So, I had s chat with the dealer, he agreed with me on how it looks like an annembly error, but all the other vans in the lot were same, but also suffered the problem...... He said he would look into it..

I was doing some mods on the van to fit up a toolbox, and decided to sort this out without waiting for feedback from the dealer...
Drilled out the rivet, through drilled the bar and remounted with a bolt +nylock nut on the outside of the lug.
Problem solved, bed now packs up perfectly.
View attachment 37543
View attachment 37544

Hmmm me likey. I think I will have to do this mod as I have the same issue.

Feb 21, 2014
Wimmera in Victoria
Hi Nawill, I was looking at your photos at the start of the thread and noticed the bottom photos hasn't got a beige / plastic nut protector on it , showing a bare screw, with our 2012 model we found that on the corner underside of mattress was all ripped because the plastic cover came off the screw / or nut hea. Have you got a cover for yours? as it didn't look like it in the photo. you may want to check your underside of mattress. I was pretty Sh-t off, big time, when I saw this. I ended up using grey duck tape to keep the cover on as it kept coming off. And trying to patch up our mattress.
Anyway nice van, and hope you have sorted the problems out. Merry xmas.

nawill

May 18, 2015
Queanbeyan
Hi Nawill, I was looking at your photos at the start of the thread and noticed the bottom photos hasn't got a beige / plastic nut protector on it , showing a bare screw, with our 2012 model we found that on the corner underside of mattress was all ripped because the plastic cover came off the screw / or nut hea. Have you got a cover for yours? as it didn't look like it in the photo. you may want to check your underside of mattress. I was pretty Sh-t off, big time, when I saw this. I ended up using grey duck tape to keep the cover on as it kept coming off. And trying to patch up our mattress.
Anyway nice van, and hope you have sorted the problems out. Merry xmas.
Thanks for the tip:
That is something a had not noticed!

I will check it out tomorrow and put something on it (have to stop in at Jayco for some shelf brackets anyway so might grab a couple of factory caps)

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I think I will also have to do this mod as I have the same hard time to fold the bed end in.
Did you ever hear from the dealer if this was a factory problem?