17' Series My innerspring mattress is too big!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi All
took delivery of the expanda last week and finally set up the rear bed the other day.
tried to fold out the mattress and to my suprise it seems like it is the wrong one!

Basically the 'fatter' section closest to the inside of the van seems too wide. It measures around 450mm and I measure the area it should fit in (above the rear boot storage) to be about 300mm

Can anyone with a 17.56.2 check their rear bed for me? How wide should the 'fat' section be?

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
What I do with our innerspring is remove the little section against the canvas, it makes folding up easier and it then also doen't touch the canvas.Maybe give that a try? Bushman told me about this trick.

As for the measurement I cant help you as we have the 16'

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Thanks CD
It's a little hard to explain but the issue is more to do with when the bed is all set up, regardless of waterproofing issues etc. It is simply a good 150mm too wide, and wont fit into the contours of the base. I'll try to upload a picture but I'm not sure that will help either :)

rojoberry

Mar 16, 2012
Pakenham Victoria
This sounds like Jayco have attached a Queen size matteress section from the 16 ft series as my understanding the 17 ft expanda's run double beds both ends,

ah197331

Jan 23, 2012
Hi Relgate,

I think you've got a front bed mattress from the 17 in the rear. The rear mattress piece that goes over the storage area, should only be about 300mm wide. The front on the other hand is much wider (as is the storage area) at something like 5-600mm. You may have received 2 fronts, instead of a front and a rear.

I found this out the hard way, as I have a front innersping matteress which I bought to fit in the rear, doh!

I'll be listing it for sale when I get a chance, as, just as you have possibly found, it wont fit in the rear of a 17.

Andrew

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Thanks Andrew, at least that helps confirm that it should be 300mm. It is actually 450mm, where as the front one is about 550mm. I reckon it must be from another model. Maybe an 18 or 16 rear?

All I know is that it'll be an uncomfortable nights sleep for my little girls on that thing! Lucky they're too young to argue