17' Series My awning leaks!

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Just returned from our shakedown weekend trip - it rained and we have discovered that our awning leaks! It was dripping in several spots along the seam at the top of the awning (van end), and also in several spots along the other/barrel end...

Has anyone else had this happen??? I'm quite peeved about it actually, as it ruined my outdoor kitchen set up (thankfully the Airfryer was rescued from the dripping in time).

I will be contacting the dealer first thing tomorrow of course, but I don't what they will be able to do about it - will they have to replace the awning, or is it something that can be fixed?

We purchase a floorstock 2013 model (17.56-2OB), so it has a full new van warranty etc. But now I'm wondering whether we should have paid more and got a brand new 2014 one... :(

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
All can be saved! It can be fixed.

Don't be too harsh on the dealer as this for an issue on a first shakedown trip is pretty tame. (Read my post about cricket ball size hail and leaking inside the van for a comparison shakedown experience!)

It is usually caused by the needle holes being too large where the stitched seam extends along the awning.

Firstly, you may find that after this trip the stitching has swelled enough to seal the holes (this is why you should also wet and dry your canvas ends several times before their first use).

If this doesn't work, there are a few options. On my Expanda I ran a thin bead of Sicaflex where it was leaking and forced it into the stitching holes where it was leaking. Took 10 minutes and never had another problem.

Cheers
Andrew

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Thanks for the reply Andrew - yikes hail and inside leaks definitely trumps my experience! lol

I think being noobs to all this we just weren't expecting the awning to leak, so it did freak us out a bit.. We now also realise that an end shade wall may be a good option as well as the Sunbuster long wall that we already have - that thing was amazing - it's practically a tarp that breathes! Well worth the extra we paid for it :)

Anyway, back to the awning - I'm relieved to hear it sounds like a simple fix - I had visions of it becoming a major drama! :p

Gibbo

Mar 17, 2013
Bayside
I agree with Andrew ours leaked first time put in the rain but does not leak now, the stitching has swollen up and sealed the holes.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Replied in your other thread, just simply a lack of sealant and a bit of weathering to happen .it always amazes me how much Silcon Jayco get everywhere but they still miss bits!

Bits it's also a bit of a lesson. If you want things to stay dry don't put them outside. The awning is simply that. Rain will get everywhere under an awning.

Melon2155

New Image.JPG New Image1.JPG All of my vans have had issues with the water leaking in through the stitches of the awning . With our current 20.63-1 i decided to do something about it to try and make things more water tight. Basically we have had a cover made that goes into a sail track above where the awning attaches to the van. Cover is approx 200mm in depth and runs full length of the awning. The cover serves 2 x purposes , 1. protects the awning when stored and during travel , 2. it covers the stitching when the awning is out and prevents water sitting on the stitch line , therefore stopping the chance of the leak. The only downside is that in very windy conditions it does flap a bit. But small price to pay IMO for stopping the leaking.I will have a go at attaching some photos.

Reactions: relgate

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Melon nice work and I can see how it would be advantageous when traveling to protect the awning. But have you tried seam sealant on the stitch line? I have done our cause it doesn't leak but usually that stuff from tent places works a treat. We got a little bit when new under the sail track but that was easily fixed with Bostik V60 sealant.

Melon2155

Jim , we wanted to protect the awning when in storage anyway , and this option covered both issues. I have tried the seam sealant stuff previously on all different types of gear , from tents to snow gear to Expanda bed ends , and it works OK , but after a while tends to wear out . This just seemed a more permanent solution and thought i would share.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
yeah I could see it being a great asset when travelling and in Storage. its amazing how much water accumulates under the rolls just travelling.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I recall reading a post a little while back that if the awning isn't taut, the top will still leak....
I found the same at Easter - there was a tree in the way so I couldn't extend it as I normally would, and it dripped on us as we when through the door. The next morning, I reset the awning and made it taut and no problems....

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Back from our long weekend trip and yes it rained again! But it only leaked in one spot this time, so the seams must have tightened as everyone said - think we will definitely put some sealant along the seam as well so hopefully there will be no leaks next time

Reactions: Ren77

Jun 25, 2014
A mate of mine is "The Caravan Doctor" here in Busselton and I mentioned the same problem with mine. He suggested rubbing candle wax across the top where the stitching is. Worked a treat. I now keep a candle in the van.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
@Karma beat me to it I rubbed candle wax on the stitching of my Old Camper trailer after it leaked from new and it was good as gold But I did also have a problem with a lack of silicone (I know, you wouldn't think so on a Jayco) on the sail track on my expanda

PS: no matter how many times I write expanda my bloody spell check corrects it for me