VIC Mt Alexander free camp

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
After having a great weekend at this place I thought I would share it with you guys. This is a great free camp not far out of Castlemaine there is a few different camp areas with designated fire pits and park benches as well as a toilet block with flushing toilets that was well maintained. The road up the mountain is a little narrow and steep but I would not hesitate in taking a van up there. The campground we chose was the Leanganook camp ground. There are other camping areas in the state park. A great area just to relax or if you are keen to do some bush walking or mountain biking as well.
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Came up here on the weekend for a quick overnighter and Xmas catch up with @17triton, our crews and had my brother and his young fella join us too in their swags.

Can confirm it’s a ripper of a spot, great toilet facilities and quite a few spots to choose from. We managed to get one out of the way and so peaceful and secluded. Kids loved it, as did we. It won’t be the last time we head up here.

Easily accessible in our van so I reckon you’d get in here with pretty much any van. Some spots might benefit from a higher clearance however.

Word on the street it can get busy on the long weekends, but we had no issues one week out from Xmas.

IMG-20161217-WA0013.jpg

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
nice photos. We are heading up that way over the next few weeks.

can anyone tell me if is it possible to get up there with a Falcon sedan towing a standard penguin camper trailer?

regards
Mike

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Hi,
nice photos. We are heading up that way over the next few weeks.

can anyone tell me if is it possible to get up there with a Falcon sedan towing a standard penguin camper trailer?

regards
Mike
No problems at all Mike. The road is sealed all the way to the campground and the campground has a gravel road that loops around with easy access to camping spots.