NT Mereenie Loop / Red Centre Way toeing Jayco Expanda Outback

Armytage crew

Mar 31, 2019
Conargo, NSW
Hi, we have just purchased a 2016 Jayco Expanda Outback 17.56-2 and will be towing it with a brand new Toyota Landcruiser 200 series wagon.
Could anyone give advice please as to whether it is suitable to tow our van on the Mereenie Loop/Red Centre Way in July. Conflicting reports on Trip Advisor. Thank you

Reactions: Squeak

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
If your Expanda has been dirt road proofed then your proposed route is entirely doable.
However if you haven’t replaced screws with longer ones, secured the microwave and reinforced drawer runners then you had better take along a few tools, glue, duct tape and zip ties.
When we bought our Outback Expanda I used 1 ½ tubes of silastic to seal up underneath where Jayco missed and we made dust covers for some of the vents.
Also, I strongly recommend some type of stone protection either a stone stomper, rock tamer or an a-frame stone guard otherwise the front of your van will get well and truly sand (rock) blasted.

Make no mistake the Loop is rough, badly corrugated with one or two washouts where care is needed. We towed on Mereenie Loop in 2017 and while things did get shaken up nothing disastrous happened. It is typical of many outback dirt roads in that it is a wide and solid road but only receives a minimum of maintenance.

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
We did it in 2012 with a 16, and the van still shows minor red dirt on somethings. The rational for using the loop was the overall route (Cooper Pedy, Uluru, Kings Cannon, Glen Helen, West MacDonalds and Alice Springs). Although the road was not a problem with hind sight I would change the route to avoid it as it did not provide the advantage that I thought it would. West McDonalds are easily accessable from Alice. I would actually change the route to Cooper Pedy, Kings Canyon, Uluru and then Alice. Doing the West MacDonalds from Alice instead.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Welcome to the forum @Armytage crew. First van or seasoned travellers ???

Both the Loop and Jaycos can be unknown quantities. The Loop can be great or horrendous, and Jayco's can be great or just short of great. If the road is drivable, how drivable is kinda your call. Some people (ie me) am happy to take the punt, Im good with the idea throwing calculated caution to the wind and knowing I may do some damage. I may think the road is petty good, and you may find it completely undrivable, its very subjective. Some folk dont care, some folk wont drive into a gravel display home car park, and then there are many in between. If you take your van truly off road such as the potential of the Loop, you should only do it with the knowledge you may well get into strife and you may well pop a few doors, drawers tyres and other bits and bobs. Jayco's are not so different to most caravans and all vans have the potential to take a hit. My Jayco can, has and does go everywhere.

Reactions: Bluey and Drover

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Hi Armytage crew.
I recently completed the Mereenie loop and the Oodnadatta Track in September last year.
The most important bit of advise is tyre pressures and drive to the conditions.
Make sure you have a air compressor.
I tow a 22.68.01 OB which when full weights 3ton.
The van's tyres had 26 psi and the tug (which was a holden Colorado at the time) had 28 psi.
Speeds on the Mereenie were anything from 20km/hr to a max of 80km/hr.
It is an awesome part of the world.
There will be lots of people trying to talk you out of doing it but you should go for it.
One other bit of info. I highly recommend you purchase a stone stomper. It was the best $600 I spent. Not a single stone chip on the van or rear of the tug and I have completed over 2500km of corrugated dirt roads.
As previously stated the road does change so drive to the conditions and watch out for the dips / washouts.
I did not have any issues on either of these road with out StarCraft with the exception of the stones breaking the electric brake plugs at each wheel - simple fix of just removing the plugs and joining the wires together.
The 200 series wont have any issues with that road even in standard form - just drop your tyre pressures.

And lastly enjoy the trip and take your time.

Reactions: Crusty181