Mazda BT50

simond

Jan 6, 2012
Adelaide SA
We have become new owners of a BT 50 & now need to put all the "Goodies" on board.:wink:

I have been looking at different ways on how to set up a second battery in the tub, as well as getting power to the back on the rig for the Anderson plug we had put on the 18.57.5 to power the battery.
Which is the best way to set up this power to the battery in the van??
Do I run from the main battery so as battery is only charged while driving, or do I wire up to second battery ?

I am looking at buying a 105A Thumper battery as the second battery as this will give me the option on being able to remove from rig & use outside if required. These Batteries I believe come with a built in regulator to compensate for the voltage drop from the alternator. Also comes with car kit& jumper leads.

Had a price from one of the big 4x4 shops to set up a second battery in the back & was shocked at the price of nearly $2,000 installed:crazy::shocked:

Confused & needing advise....PLEASE! :help:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Congtrats on the new purchase Simon, they sure are getting popular.

I'm sure someone with one on here will be able to help you out but 2k :bowl: I'd be shoppoing around thats for sure.

Does the 2nd battery not fit under the bonnet? You should be able to charge the van off the main but remember to disconnect the anderson plug so yu done flatten the tug, or maybe fit an isolator inbetween the two.

simond

Jan 6, 2012
Adelaide SA
Congtrats on the new purchase Simon, they sure are getting popular.

I'm sure someone with one on here will be able to help you out but 2k :bowl: I'd be shoppoing around thats for sure.

Does the 2nd battery not fit under the bonnet? You should be able to charge the van off the main but remember to disconnect the anderson plug so yu done flatten the tug, or maybe fit an isolator inbetween the two.

CD, As you mention fitting a isolator so as not to flatten battery, but will I need to also add a DC-DC charger to get the correct voltage from main battery to charge van battery??

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hi Simon, i have a new BT and have a second 100Ah battery in the tub. Just have a redarc isolator between them. Battery is in one of those black plastic boxes and has 2 12v outlets attached to it. I have also had a thumper for many years and they are a great option too.

I am no auto elecy but the guy i use has wired it so if i keep the anderson plug connected to the van i can free camp off the battery in the van and the 2nd battery in the car.

I also got prices years ago from the big 4wd outlets and nearly fainted. Go find yourself a good Auto Elecy, buy the isolator and other bits and peices on eBay and get him to put it all in. Depending on brands and the hourly rate of the guy you use you should get away with it for about $600-$800.

I would steer clear of the big 4x4 shops, they just rip you off.

simond

Jan 6, 2012
Adelaide SA
Cheers MM,

Do you find just using the Redarc isolator it is enough to charge the second battery without the voltage drop? I keeping reading that you need to put in a Smart charger.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Cheers MM,

Do you find just using the Redarc isolator it is enough to charge the second battery without the voltage drop? I keeping reading that you need to put in a Smart charger.

Works fine for me, but i don't know enough about the newer DC-DC chargers. I would say 95% of 4wders would just have the isolator setup. Pretty sure the Thumper is the same setup essentially too.

Wish i knew more about electrics.

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Hey SimonD,

As far as I know the new BT's still run a conventional alternator and as such you can still run a standard Voltage Sensing Relay (VSR). I like Redarc (Aussie Made).

Moto Moto is right about finding a good auto elec.

I almost put a thumper in our Ranger but was turned off with the weight and tub storage it took up. We have a 120 ah batt sitting on the wheel arch now. I also have a hard lid & roll bar which makes getting anything out of the back an absolute pain in the bum! Especially anything heavy!

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Hi there, we had a rotronics unit installed with gel battery, metal box and two outlets all wired in for around $650. A good unit from what I have read.