Mazda BT 50

simond

Jan 6, 2012
Adelaide SA
Have been looking at these as a tow vehicle
5 cylinder turbo diesel, 6 speed auto
Tow up to 3350Kg

Anyone have any info on these, or have one.
Would like to hear others thoughts.

Would to towing a 18.57.5

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Only downside is the service interval of 10 000k but I think that is normal for a diesel. No fixed price serviceing. New Holden Colorado looks OK and tows a bit more, not that it really matters.

Geoff

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Moto Moto will be able to add to this thread when he has a chance

My brothers mate worlks as a mechanic at Mazda and is selling his 4.2TD GU Patrol to tow his OB Swan. He used one the other week to tow with and couldn't believe the power available and the torque of the engine. He was rapt with it.

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Hi Simond,

we just picked up the Ford version, I am very happy with it as a whole but I havent had the van behind it yet.

20120427_00025.jpg

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
The Ranger is way over priced for essentiallythe same car. I found Mazda were doing heaps better deals than Ford. And from what i hear outselling the Ford. I too actually really like the look of the BT now. Its different and i like that.

ARB now have the bar work to make the BT look a bit tougher. I seriously considered one, and the Navara, and the Ranger, and really i don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

I'm sticking with my Patrol for a bit longer for now though:smokin:

Attachments

• 19-31-385.jpg
    19-31-385.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 546

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
The Ranger is way over priced for essentiallythe same car. I found Mazda were doing heaps better deals than Ford. And from what i hear outselling the Ford. I too actually really like the look of the BT now. Its different and i like that.

ARB now have the bar work to make the BT look a bit tougher. I seriously considered one, and the Navara, and the Ranger, and really i don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

I'm sticking with my Patrol for a bit longer for now though:smokin:

View attachment 7606

Sorry Moto, everyone is entitled to their opinion but! Apart from running gear and chassis that's about where it ends. We spent hours going over both vehicles and the Fords are worth every cent more. Not just aesthetically, but in finish quality and refinement of the interior. The BT 50's are just so damn ugly if they weren't 10k cheaper than the Ford they wouldn't sell any.

And like I said everyone's entitled to their opinion:dance: and that's mine!

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Point taken:happy:

Don't get me wrong the Ranger is a great looking vehicle, but I'm a 4wder at heart i guess $10K, even $5k savings, would setup a serious off road weapon, and thats more important to me. So i'm probably looking at the vehicles from a different pont of view than those who just want just a ute or just a tow vehicle.

Enjoy your weapon of choice:car:

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
:peace:Woops I didn't consider that, as ours is firstly a family car, secondly a tourer & third a tow car refinements are surprisingly more important. Let's face it 10 years ago I doubt any of us would have had a chance of getting the women in our lives into dual cabs. Now they are built almost like family cars and with a little gentle encouragement it can negate the need for to vehicles. That also leaves more money for those oh so important extras:high5:

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
The main reason Mazda outsell the Ranger is Ford cannot supply them... I heard a reason the other day from a ford dealer saying that BHP bought up 3000 Rangers from the first batch and as they are a big customer they got preference...

As far as the ARB extras on the BT50. The old expression, you can put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig...:eyebrows:

Another thing to point out is the old D22 Navara outsold the BT and Ranger in March... Add the D40 sales and it trumps it... That is from a ute that is dating back to the 90's and the D40 which is getting on 7 years old...

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
The main reason Mazda outsell the Ranger is Ford cannot supply them... I heard a reason the other day from a ford dealer saying that BHP bought up 3000 Rangers from the first batch and as they are a big customer they got preference...

As far as the ARB extras on the BT50. The old expression, you can put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig...:eyebrows:

Another thing to point out is the old D22 Navara outsold the BT and Ranger in March... Add the D40 sales and it trumps it... That is from a ute that is dating back to the 90's and the D40 which is getting on 7 years old...

I think price has a lot to do with that Stuart, the D22 is about $31k driveaway and the D40 starting at about $35k drive away for the base model. Tough times for most so lots of people are not getting into as much debt. That is the main reason i considered the new ST D40, excellent pricing. But it should be cheaper, its an older design with a new bumper bar and a few extra ponies squeezed out of the same engine. The interior is still old school too (actually another reason i liked the Navara).
The newer ST Navara has dropped over $5000 in the last 2 months, so Nissan must be feeling the heat from the new comers in some way. Its a buyers market, times are tough, and dealers are feeling the pain. A good time to buy if you are financially sound. I nearly purchased a Navara 2 months ago, i was at the dealer to do a deal, but changed my mind at the last minute, thank god i did, i would have been ripped off.

Comes down to what features are important to you and your budget.

Like i said, you can't go wrong with new Ranger, BT or Navara. All great cars in different ways.

Good luck with your decisions.

simond

Jan 6, 2012
Adelaide SA
Interesting to hear others opinions.
Have almost done the deal with the Mazda dealer, just need to get them too sharpen the pencil one more time& I think we may have a deal.
As said, different strokes for different folks. I was mainly interested with the pulling power & fuel efficiency of the diesel motor.
Coming from a petrol Prado $$$$ & only being able to tow 2500Kg.
New van will come in at around 2100Kg unladen, by the time we add clothes, food, Batteries etc, water in the 2 tanks, not forgetting my large fish /kayak gear I load in every trip.:biggrin:
I was getting close if not over the limit for the Prado. Safety first i believe is more important than looks:decision:
I also get to put all the goodies on the BT:biggrin:
Biggest decision to make at present is which colour:noidea:

Angus

Apr 13, 2012
Brisbane

The reason they purchased so many is because BHP are bringing in a new mine site rule that all vehicles must have a 5 star ANCAP safety rating