Interior Making a trifold table

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
okay so I have decided to make a trifold table for the Starcraft. I got a price but it was pretty steep and I am not sure I want the same table width! I see the trifold as good for lounging so the table needs to be narrower IMO. A few photos below. The Jayco ine is a member here who already has a trifold. The angled table is one I dug of the net. Can someone explain how the leg works? It needs to change lengths?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Feel free to jump in with suggestions and ideas. There's a few in here that want a trifold so we can all help each other? Iam thinking of getting the cupboard from Jayco cause it was reasonable iirc and then maybe the leg if same then using a bit of pre laminated mdf or like as the table? I don't mind trying to make a foam table like Jayco but we're do you get the laminate?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Getting narrow enough piano hinge seems to be the first hurdle.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
on our 22' the leg will work.
I did think putting a nice solid piece of wood for it to sit on braced instead of the table so more leg room.
found this hinge already I think could work.
http://camec.com/piano-hinge.html

Interesting when I priced ours as getting a service they said they have a lot of people go the other way as the tri fold table is not overly stable.. on the other forum people have done it
http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=38970&p=862589&hilit=fold+table#p862589
http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/RussellBSA/slideshow/Trifold table

My biggest problem is the table top.. Not sure what to do there if we want to match what is on the bench.

Reactions: achjimmy

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Good work @achjimmy as you saw I can't get one in my new van so I will be watching and learning. I am thinking of seeing if I can get a bit of matching laminate off them and do the same. Probably go 12mm ply with a routered timber edge I think. Looking at those pics it is quite a bit narrower isn't it.

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
I think weight would also be an issue, the standard table (if I am correct) is laminated foam, a solid piece of wood would be a fair bit heavier which could effect stability and connecting to the wall.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Good work @achjimmy as you saw I can't get one in my new van so I will be watching and learning. I am thinking of seeing if I can get a bit of matching laminate off them and do the same. Probably go 12mm ply with a routered timber edge I think. Looking at those pics it is quite a bit narrower isn't it.

I got told by a dealer once Jayco will supply the laminate but you need to take a 2.4 X 1.2 roll! I don't know what's it's worth but ours is ammre I think? I go half of its reasonable and doable

Reactions: 17triton

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I think weight would also be an issue, the standard table (if I am correct) is laminated foam, a solid piece of wood would be a fair bit heavier which could effect stability and connecting to the wall.

Weight would be minamal , they used to use timber laminate wood for tables . The bloody wall now won't hold the table ! So I'd guess the addition of the cupboard underneath would only help?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Good find Dave. That'd do me so now to get the laminate or Simalar . I think the timber edge is better even if I still use Foam as it protects the edge better ? We have a couple of nicks already from belt clips !

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
2015-12-03 21.52.21.jpg
Bit of thought based on my table in the Jurgens van.

The tables not attached to the wall. It's screwed to the side shelf against the wall for support.
2015-12-03 21.45.11.jpg

The leg hangs in the air when the tables folded.

Our table is 12mm plywood with a laminated top.
20151203_214007.jpg

Table parts are connected by piano hinges.

So with some basic tools a new tri-fold table looks kinda easy.

Attachments

• 20151203_214446.jpg
    20151203_214446.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 783
Last edited:

megcam

Watching this with interest. I too find the table too wide (or myself not narrow enough) and I think we'd appreciate the extra space the trifold would afford with kids moving from bunks to door. Just as a matter of interest has anyone obtained supply only quotes from Jayco? What sort of dollars?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Watching this with interest. I too find the table too wide (or myself not narrow enough) and I think we'd appreciate the extra space the trifold would afford with kids moving from bunks to door. Just as a matter of interest has anyone obtained supply only quotes from Jayco? What sort of dollars?

Yes I did was about $450 for table and cupboard iirc

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
Why not try a cabinet maker, tell them what its for and they can recommend suitable timber and maybe track down the laminte to use, also supply all the hardware required

Last edited:

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
image.jpeg
image.png
image.jpeg

Posted on my thread but thought it would be good here. I started on my trifold table today cutting up the original and making it a little narrower. You can see the foam sandwiched between the ply. I am going to dig out some foam and glue in some hardwood for the hinge screws to bight into. I need to router some curves and re edge it all then.