17' Series Mains water

Glenn todd

Sep 16, 2014
Hi There,
I have a17 56 2 and love the van .We were away a few weekends ago and hooked up the mains water supply , and found the tanks filling up as well, when connected to the mains supply.
I have had the van for over two years and never experienced the happening before.
Any information and advice would be appreciated.
Regards and best wishes to all .

Glenn.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Happen to our Golden Eagle a little while ago, usually its your PRV (Pressure Relief valve) is stuffed allowing water to push through the pump back to the tank.
A temporary fix is to simply turn the tank taps off, another fix is to put a one-way check valve on the outlet side of the pump, and of course the main fix is to locate the main PRV and replace it.

Glenn todd

Sep 16, 2014
Thank you for your prompt response , the contents have been noted and I will be replacing the pressure valve.

Regards and best wishes.

Glenn.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It should be the NRV (Non Return Valve) on the water pump which is allowing the mains water past the pump to the tanks, the PLV/PRV/NRV located just near the mains inlet wouldn't be causing it, a simple fix is to buy a John Guest NRV and fit it on the outlet side of the pump, this will allow water from tanks to flow to your taps but stop water gong to the tanks......lot easier than pulling pumps apart, just cut line and click fit the valve, job done....just make sure the arrow on the valve is pointing in the right direction.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Glenn todd

Sep 16, 2014
It should be the NRV (Non Return Valve) on the water pump which is allowing the mains water past the pump to the tanks, the PLV/PRV/NRV located just near the mains inlet wouldn't be causing it, a simple fix is to buy a John Guest NRV and fit it on the outlet side of the pump, this will allow water from tanks to flow to your taps but stop water gong to the tanks......lot easier than pulling pumps apart, just cut line and click fit the valve, job done....just make sure the arrow on the valve is pointing in the right direction.
Thank you for your feedback.

Regards and best wishes.

Glenn

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Yep like @Drover said, the pumps have a Non return Valve (sometimes referred to as the check valve) fitted in them which prevent the water flowing back into the tanks.

You can either replace the exisitng one (Shurflo part), or get a John Guest in line non return valve and fit it on the inlet side of the pump

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I thought outlet side would be better, I assumed the check valve possibly failed due to mains pressure forcing some bit of crap to jam it so fitting a guest NRV on the outlet would stop that and keep the pump off pressure.....................my 14.44 being near new I flushed all the lines underneath to get the shavings from the build out of the system so never encountered any drama, they don't seem to clean or tidy anything up when building these things no matter what the brand..........even house plumbers flush all the lines before hooking up the gear, well most should I say......................and I knew it wasn't called a NRV on the pump @Bellbirdweb but couldn't recall what the damn thing was called.............but then it can be like Pastie or Pastie depends where your from......

Reactions: Bellbirdweb