Exterior Mains hose attachment on Freedom Expanda 2004

ZekaSkope

May 14, 2022
Port Stephens NSW
Hi everyone,
On our first major trip with our 2004 Freedom Expanda. Working out a few quirks with it, but it’s mostly all manageable.
But the attachment for the mains water hose is something that has made the roadtrip just a bit more than frustrating. It leaks to high hell.
The steel threaded head points in an angled down direction and there is pressure on the attachment as is against the edge of the plastic fascia, so I’d say that is contributing to the problem. But I also think that there may have been a special washer that has gone because Ive stacked two tap washers in there and it’s not helping.
From what I have read on other forums, it sounds like the vans originally came with an elbow attachment, but that’s probably long gone with previous owners.
I’ve also read that these things on even more modern Jaycos get replaced because of leaks. But I’m not even sure how to do this.
Does anyone have any quick tips on how to deal with this issue?

Attachments

• 7CEC2975-5642-47CE-A333-F803748EF590.jpeg
    7CEC2975-5642-47CE-A333-F803748EF590.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 136

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Looks like a replacement, you mentioned a washer which I can see in your pic, since its brass into plastic I would carefully remove it and apply some thread tape and gently screw it back in that should stop the leak, or adding some plumbers gas line seal works good as well, it can take a good bit of thread tape just don't force things, ideally I would be going to Bunnings or such and getting a plastic/nylon hose fitting to suit, brass into plastic isn't good in that postion, the loadiing on the hose could stress out the plastic fittings......
, Many have rerouted the line to under the van and mounted the connection there..... inside the van fitted to the water line you may find a small black fitting which is a non return valve and there may be a brass fitting also which is a PRV which regulates the pressure from the mains.... a NRV is needed so when you use the water pump you don't pump your tank out the mains inlet...

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
where is the water actually leaking from? the photo appears to show the hose fitting (plastic ) screwing to the brass thread, maybe a good fix would be to screw a click on tap hose connector (male) to the brass van thread and then fit a good quality (female) hose connector to your hose?? using good quality washers and good quality hose connections could solve your issues, mixing brands of cheap hose fittings will only cause you grief , also a stab in the dark but is that a proper van quality water hose shown in the pics or one you pinched from the garden ??

ZekaSkope

May 14, 2022
Port Stephens NSW
Thanks a bunch for the replies, sorry for the delay in responding.
I had a plumber out at one of our stops and he weighed in saying there was probably a missing nylon washer on the inner side of the brass fitting. But it wasn’t something he could fix.
So I called into a Jayco retailer once we hit Townsville and they spares department said they don’t even make the brass fitting anymore because of this issue.
So I just bought a whole new external unit (outer panel, fittings and lockup door) and replaced it. The whole piece is all plastic now except for the lock. And it’s working a treat now.
Appreciate the feedback, and if I had the time on the road I would have fiddled around or tried a fix on my own. But time was just too precious on the road and we REALLY missed running water.
Cheers

Reactions: Drover