Interior Mack 8 off Honda eu20

Shane Norwell

Jan 11, 2015
Bunbury wa
Has anyone successfully run there Coleman Mack 8 off a Honda eu20 generator? Don't normally use a genny as we have tons of solar but we're heading to an event this weekend and temps are expected to hit 40 so thought we'd try my inlaws Honda genny but it won't start the air con properly, starts the compressor for about a minute the drops back to just the fan.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Try running genny for about 5 mins to get warmed up, have the AC at a low fan to start and gradually drop the temp setting as it gets going, if it keeps running of course and make sure the eco switch on the Honda is off..............Don't have anything else running but a gradual build up will sometimes get things going where a sudden load will kill it...

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
My eu20 runs the Ibis but if I turn the fridge from gas to electric, the genni goes out on overload.
Make sure you use a 15amp lead with a 10amp adapter at the genni end

Reactions: Delano

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong..... But I am almost certain that the Honda's have 15 amp outlets? (Newer models that is)

I'm pretty sure it has 15a sockets, as I'm sure I use my normal lead for it. Might have it out at tomorrows camp so will check.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
It was from a company called Blue Diamond Machinery @The escapist ... They import them and relabel them. Not as quiet as a Yammie or Honda but it does the job for the few times we have used it.
They have upgraded the base model 2.0kva with a 2.4kva for $790 on special. Inverter Generator - Petrol 2.4KVA

I was like yourself and couldn't justify the extra dollars when I was looking.

Shane Norwell

Jan 11, 2015
Bunbury wa
Thanks for the tips guys. Didn't bother taking it with us but spoke to another guy at the same event and they were running there's of an eu20 so I stopped to pick his brain and he said his does the same on abnormal length cord so he made one just long enough for the genny to sit directly below the inlet and it works fine.

Reactions: bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Thanks for the tips guys. Didn't bother taking it with us but spoke to another guy at the same event and they were running there's of an eu20 so I stopped to pick his brain and he said his does the same on abnormal length cord so he made one just long enough for the genny to sit directly below the inlet and it works fine.
Yep it's obviously right on the edge of capacity, so the cord length makes a difference.

It's usually just the compressor start that causes the issue as the locked rotor current is quite high.

Once the compressor is running the EU20 would be comfortable.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I managed to test my Honda 2 running the AC, a Dometic 3000, and am pleased to say it ran it effortlessly while still running the fridge and the laptop charger, it didn't even rev it's head off................most impressed I thought it would be going full noise.

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
I found the Yamaha 2kVa ran the Coleman Mach better than the Honda EU20i. Even though they are the same rating, I think the Yamaha holds out from going into overload for a little longer than the Honda, which allows the compressor to start.

Reactions: Drover