Interior Loud 12v Water Pump

macpanda

May 26, 2022
Hi all. I filled my tanks yesterday and used the water pump. At first all seemed normal, but then the usual splutter of air and the pump got louder and flow rate seemed to drop off. I thought there might be an air lock somewhere, so check high points where i could and ran again, with same issue. Any thoughts on what this could be or how to troubleshoot?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you have clear lines look around the tank select valve and see if you can see bubbles on the tap side, the valve may be letting air in................. Suction can draw air into system where no water will leak.
Also check line filter and switching tanks, there could be a bit of drill swirl blocking the tank outlet, it will cause splutter and low flow, can pull a line off and blow down the line into tank to push swirl from inlet, then hook back up and try pump, if flows good then you can just wait till next time or remove tank and shake the swirl out of the inlet hole is the best way to clear it from tank, it can be there for years...

Another cause can be a blocked breather, no air getting into tank to replace water removed will slow the flow if you have sealed inlet.

Reactions: GlampinCdub

macpanda

May 26, 2022
Thanks Drover, looks like there are bubbles coming in at the tank selector valve, so replacing that might be the best place to start. I noticed in another thread you swapped for an agricultural flow splitter - I assume you can get these from a decent hardware or plumbing shop?

Breathers seem to be clear but the tanks seem pretty slow to fill and surge if I try to fill too quickly. There are some low points in the breathers which won’t help them, I would thought they should only grade down from the full point to the tanks so that they don’t pool any water?

Was expecting a filter on the inlet to the pump, but none there. Will it be under the van, and what does it look like? I’ve found the check cables but not the filter yet.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
A small amount of pooling in the breather hose from the top of the tank to the breather outlet is not a bad thing. It prevents bugs and insects and other things from getting down into the tank, especially if the little gauze at the end of the breather outlet goes walkabout which often happens if being to ambitious in filling the tank. A drop of about 25mm should be sufficient and will not be enough to create a vacuum or prevent the tank from filling.

Reactions: Drover