16' Series Lopsided Expanda

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
Our 2018 16’ Expanda Outback with J-Tech suspension is not sitting square, when I look at the van from the rear it’s lopsided. When I crawled underneath I noticed that one of the rubber cone springs (inside the coil spring) has approx. 20mm clearance between the bottom of it and the bottom stop whilst the other side is touching i.e. no clearance at all.

It’s the driver’s side which is touching. The van is not loaded and is sitting on a concrete pad so I would think both rubber cones should have the same clearance.

Just wondering if anyone might have any ideas as to what might be happening?

Andre307

May 18, 2016
Adelaide
Our 2018 16’ Expanda Outback with J-Tech suspension is not sitting square, when I look at the van from the rear it’s lopsided. When I crawled underneath I noticed that one of the rubber cone springs (inside the coil spring) has approx. 20mm clearance between the bottom of it and the bottom stop whilst the other side is touching i.e. no clearance at all.

It’s the driver’s side which is touching. The van is not loaded and is sitting on a concrete pad so I would think both rubber cones should have the same clearance.

Just wondering if anyone might have any ideas as to what might be happening?

Broken or sagged coil spring?
Is it a new issue or always been that way?

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
Hi Andre,
This is a new(ish) issue.
I now believe that the coil has collapsed but there are possibly extenuating circumstances. I have contacted Jayco Australia and in part my message to them was as follows:

Please provide the part number for the Pedders coil springs to suit a 2018 16' Jayco Outback Expanda with JTech Independent Suspension.
Very disappointed that after recently having had the driver’s side shocker replaced on this "new" van that it now appears that the coil spring has sagged/collapsed or broken and is possibly what caused the shocker to fail in the first instance.
I have contacted the service agents and they are unable to look at it before APRIL, unfortunately this is of little use to me. This is for a van which is less than 12 months old and has done under 5000kms.

Actually I’d be happy if they just supplied the parts as my son is a very competent fitter who I trust to do any of the mechanical work required.

Andre307

May 18, 2016
Adelaide
I would have thought for 12 months it could be a warranty issue for free replacement?
The reason I was asking if a new problem is maybe they fitted the wrong rated coil in the first place. That would certainly lead to more movement on that side of the van and the shocker failing.
Hope all works out for you in the end. Just frustrating on a new van, I had issues with mine too which is why I went new in the first place.:(

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
It is still under warranty but I can't wait 10 - 11 weeks for them to be able look at it, we're going away mid Feb.
Personally and I have no proof but, I wouldn't be surprised if when they fitted the new shock they could see that the coil was also stuffed but as I'd only asked for the shock to be checked they left the coil it as it was, knackered. However that's just me, always thinking the worst of dealerships.

Reactions: Drover