Just Browsing Looking to buy

prone

May 21, 2018
Sydney
Hi All, We are new to the forum and don’t currently own a van but we’ve decided that the time has come to purchase one for our family. We’ve been looking for some time but the more that we look the more confused we get :) There are just so many options!!!

We are a family of 5 and our kids are aged 13, 11 and 5. Our tow vehicle is a 2017 Ford Everest Titanium that is capable of towing 3t however I understand that I need to be careful in regards to weight limits.

Most of our trips will be on sealed roads with the occasional unsealed road. I think that we’ll mostly be staying in Caravan Parks but that may change down the track.

If anyone has any recommendations on what we should look at or anything else that would be great. We’ve been looking at the Jayco Expandas and Journeys but are leaning towards the Expanda. The main thing that we’re after is space so that we don’t grow out of it to quickly.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sam

Reactions: Delano

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi @prone . I have an expanda and recommend getting one with 2 bunks and the beds both ends. That way each kid has a bed = no fighting while in bed!! I like the outbacks because of the more heavy dutiness of it, but each to their own. The expanda does have more internal space as the beds pop out the ends, which is great if you are stuck in the van due to rain. Alot of people are happy with the 17 models, but it depends on what you are happy to tow and how much space you want.
Good luck with your search.

Reactions: Drover

Delano

Apr 27, 2014
North west Melbourne
Hi All, We are new to the forum and don’t currently own a van but we’ve decided that the time has come to purchase one for our family. We’ve been looking for some time but the more that we look the more confused we get :) There are just so many options!!!

We are a family of 5 and our kids are aged 13, 11 and 5. Our tow vehicle is a 2017 Ford Everest Titanium that is capable of towing 3t however I understand that I need to be careful in regards to weight limits.

Most of our trips will be on sealed roads with the occasional unsealed road. I think that we’ll mostly be staying in Caravan Parks but that may change down the track.

If anyone has any recommendations on what we should look at or anything else that would be great. We’ve been looking at the Jayco Expandas and Journeys but are leaning towards the Expanda. The main thing that we’re after is space so that we don’t grow out of it to quickly.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sam
Welcome @prone ,
I currently own a 2014 16-49-4 with with fold out beds both ends and a double bunk too.
which is a great layout and has served us well but we are looking at upgrading soon.

prone

May 21, 2018
Sydney
Thanks for the replies. It’s a good idea to get double bunks as well as the fold out beds to separate the kids. They fight at the best of times :)

I’m going to try to get out to the Jayco Sydney or Newcastle dealership over the next week or so.

We’re pretty set on a Expanda Outback but need to decide on a size and layout whilst keeping within our Ford Everest weight limits.

Thanks again

Reactions: Smirke

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Thanks for the replies. It’s a good idea to get double bunks as well as the fold out beds to separate the kids. They fight at the best of times :)

I’m going to try to get out to the Jayco Sydney or Newcastle dealership over the next week or so.

We’re pretty set on a Expanda Outback but need to decide on a size and layout whilst keeping within our Ford Everest weight limits.

Thanks again
The 17 or 16 foots will be under the 3T weight limit. (I am assuming that is what the everest has). Mine comes in at 3.1T, but she's a massive girl!

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
Hi and welcome.

I tow a 18.58.1 with double bunks which we sometimes convert to a lounge for more seating area.. Two kids but use an annexe if we stay for more than a week. The Everest does it easy!

Cheers

ash99

Feb 1, 2016
Lysterfield
Get a smaller van and stick the older kids in swags outside.
OR
We just picked up our Journey 19.61-3, these can be had in triple bunk as well. Ours came in at just over 2500kg ATM. We have a touring model with underslung axle.

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
Get a smaller van and stick the older kids in swags outside.......

We used to do this with our Jayco Heritage. Until we had a run in with one of the caravan park caretakers. They had a rule where everyone had to sleep within the footprint of the van. We had the kids in a small pup tent next to the van... After that argument we decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to something with bunks.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We used to do this with our Jayco Heritage. Until we had a run in with one of the caravan park caretakers. They had a rule where everyone had to sleep within the footprint of the van. We had the kids in a small pup tent next to the van... After that argument we decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to something with bunks.
Ive never camped in North Korea, whats it like? I know what I would have told the knob

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Theres a golf Savannah van that has a slide out in a 17 expanda type van i think a member on here brought one they look good heaps of room in them but would need a lot of research on them to see if there any good ive been in one not bad at all