Longevity of Jayco Expanda's

Feb 1, 2012
Hi all, new member here. I am just in the process of buying a new Expander. I have had a Jayco Swan OB CT fro the past three years.

I am impressed with the price and inclusions of the Jayco in comparison to other brands. I do wonder however, about the longevity of the fibreglass panels. This purchase needs to stay with us for the next 10 plus years and I was wondering what people think about the longevity of these vans.

Thanks

NK

kolega

Jan 16, 2012
Me Too, we have a 2011 which we will be selling and buying an Expanda, my Only problem is that we cand decide if we het the 16 or 17" unit. I like the look and extra size of teh 17 but a bit concerned with the extra Weight and once loaded how my Prado will cope with 2 ton. Which Expand are you getting and any particular reason?

K

Feb 1, 2012
G'day, we are getting the 16ft without shower and toilet and have changed the lay out a bit. No particular reason.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
We had the 2005 expanda which was the first year with smooth fibreglass, in the expanda range, and sold it last year the fibreglass was still as good as new .

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
I like the look and extra size of teh 17 but a bit concerned with the extra Weight and once loaded how my Prado will cope with 2 ton.

We tow with the Petrol Prado and it is fine. 14l/100k without van, no difference when we had Eagle but 17-18 now with 17.56-2.

Performs OK. On the flat is fine 90-100kmh, small inclines no probs, but proper climbs like the S/E freeway out of ADL, was 2nd gear 40-50kmh all the way to the top. Mind you with the Eagle it was 3rd gear 60-70 kmh so all things considered not bad. Diesel would be better of course but given that the Prado is only towing 2-3,000 km out of 10-12,000km /year, well it might have to wait a bit!

If you have a manual, watch the clutch - you really need a heavy duty one to tow a van with a Prado (straight from Toyota's mouth!). I use Low range diff lock to position it on site and this helps heaps.

Kimmyb

Aug 23, 2011
Ferntree Gully, Victoria
Hi, we have a 2008 Outback Expanda and only purchased the van in September 2011. When we did purchase it, we stayed the night next to a 2010 Outback Expanda and the owner asked us if our van was brand new!!! The previous owners would have to take credit for keeping the van so well - I believe they are like a car, they need to be washed and polished (much to my husbands delight NOT). We too tow with a Petrol Patrol, it's a little slow when climbing (like the Black Spur here in Victoria), but otherwise we haven't noticed any difference from our old Jayco Swan (except the electric brakes are a dream compared to our old van that had hydraulic ones). We have two children, aged 4 and nearly 7, so we picked the 16-49-1, if you have more than three kids I think you need the layout with bunks. No shower or toilet for us, takes up too much space in the van plus I have daughters and they seem to want to take everything!! My only criteria was a big fridge (150 litre), which we have. Good luck.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
:welcome: NK :wave: I have polished mine 3 or 4 times since getting it 13 months ago and it does make washing it a lot easier as any bugs or even tree sap washes off easily. So far I haven't had any issues with the fibreglass. The only thing is the exposed fibreglass on the front needs to be protected.

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
Ours is 18 months old ( 10000km ) and good as new. I did polish it when before i used it and as was said it makes washing it easier.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Jayco gives you these with the new van

van6.jpg