Just Browsing Lights on roof and bedsides not working

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
We can’t get lights to work in our jayco expander, the power is on,aircon working. What could the problem

If lights are 12 volt, then the problem is that you do not have any 12 volt power. Even if you have the 240 volt connected and your 240 volt equipment works, it does not mean you will get 12 volt power from battery. If battery is very, very flat or below the Low voltage disconnect setting (maybe less than 10.00 volts), there will not be any 12 volt power available until the 240 volt charger in the distribution box manages to get some voltage and power into the battery, which will take some time. Leave 240 volt charging on for at least 24 hours (may even need more if badly discharged!) and see if you can get the lights working. Turn off ALL other 12 volt loads. Also get yourself a multi meter and check battery voltage whilst charging and then with charger off, test again with light load (one or two lights??) . If battery is stuffed, voltage will drop away to less than 11.00 volts - then it is probably time for a new battery. How long has the van been off 240 volt power??

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
If lights are 12 volt, then the problem is that you do not have any 12 volt power. Even if you have the 240 volt connected and your 240 volt equipment works, it does not mean you will get 12 volt power from battery. If battery is very, very flat or below the Low voltage disconnect setting (maybe less than 10.00 volts), there will not be any 12 volt power available until the 240 volt charger in the distribution box manages to get some voltage and power into the battery, which will take some time. Leave 240 volt charging on for at least 24 hours (may even need more if badly discharged!) and see if you can get the lights working. Turn off ALL other 12 volt loads. Also get yourself a multi meter and check battery voltage whilst charging and then with charger off, test again with light load (one or two lights??) . If battery is stuffed, voltage will drop away to less than 11.00 volts - then it is probably time for a new battery. How long has the van been off 240 volt power??
Hi,
Do you have a late model expanda with BmPro J35 power supply instead of the Setec ST series power supplies fitted in earlier models?
As @Boots in Action stated you may have a flat battery and the Low Voltage Disconnect in the power supply has been activated and disconnected all 12V loads.
One of the quirks with the BmPro J35 is that it will NOT attempt to recharge the battery and will NOT reconnect the 12V loads until the battery has been recharged..The only way to restore your 12V is to put an external charger on the battery to restore it back to full charge. Once that is done, the BmPro will reconnect the loads and maintain the battery from then on.

This is all explained in the BmPro J35 owner's manual. If you don't have a copy, do a Google search to find a copy and download it.

It would be well worth getting hold of a multimeter and measuring teh voltage at the terminals of the battery.

cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: Boots in Action

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD

Actually the lights will work if plugged into 240v and its a Setek as even with battery switched off or dead as door nail they will work.............sounds to me like no 240 and battery turned off OR if late model that switch near door is off which shuts all power to lights.....need more info from OP..........have come across new van owners, no lights, switches on but no one told then to touch the lens where there's a dimple and light cones on...

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Actually the lights will work if plugged into 240v and its a Setek as even with battery switched off or dead as door nail they will work.............sounds to me like no 240 and battery turned off OR if late model that switch near door is off which shuts all power to lights.....need more info from OP..........have come across new van owners, no lights, switches on but no one told then to touch the lens where there's a dimple and light cones on...

Not so @Drover , if battery is so flat, the charging voltage of Setec is insufficient to get ANY CURRENT into the battery to provide energy into battery. The battery resistance is so high that when a load of any type is placed on battery, there is insufficient 'GUTS" to provide any power to loads. Not to mention how the LVD works and how slowly the Setec puts charge into battery. The LVR is staged at different voltages as voltage rises. Charger provides voltage, but battery provides the current. Have a look at the Setec specs for full details. I wonder how long or how this battery has been left in a badly discharged state if that is the problem??

However, your comments regarding later model vans and their switches and circuits is valid and puts a whole new dimension on what could be wrong as does @mikerezny comment.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
this is an excerpt from the BmPro J35 manual:

In normal use, a battery connected to J35 should never become deeply discharged, so recharging it should never be a problem. If a battery has become deeply discharged though, J35 will not charge it. Remove the battery and charge it with a stand-alone charger. Once the battery voltage has recovered to normal levels, it may be reinstalled. For guidance in reinstalling, refer to Connection/Disconnection Procedure.

This is different form the behaviour of the Setec ST series.

cheers
Mike

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi,
this is an excerpt from the BmPro J35 manual:

In normal use, a battery connected to J35 should never become deeply discharged, so recharging it should never be a problem. If a battery has become deeply discharged though, J35 will not charge it. Remove the battery and charge it with a stand-alone charger. Once the battery voltage has recovered to normal levels, it may be reinstalled. For guidance in reinstalling, refer to Connection/Disconnection Procedure.

This is different form the behaviour of the Setec ST series.

cheers
Mike

Yes Mike @mikerezny. I too read the manual and noticed this. I wonder what the LVD value is? We still do not have enough information from @Flash gordon to be really able to help as we (or me) are just guessing what the myriad of problems could be. How old is van and if it is new, or been through many owners. And as @Drover always points out, one does not know what modifications have been made to alter the electrical circuit!!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It's a 2006 Jayco so Setek I would say.
I have had lights working on a stuffed battery ..................may depend on stuffedness of battery.

Have also fixed a similar problem on a couples rig, no lights when no 240 but lights when connected to tug, battery switch was on, other old duffers couldn't figure it out so I looked under seat at the empty battery box and declared the problem solved.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
It's a 2006 Jayco so Setek I would say.
I have had lights working on a stuffed battery ..................may depend on stuffedness of battery.

Have also fixed a similar problem on a couples rig, no lights when no 240 but lights when connected to tug, battery switch was on, other old duffers couldn't figure it out so I looked under seat at the empty battery box and declared the problem solved.

Sometimes it pays to look for the simple things first - like is there a power source or is the switch on? Not always as easy as that problem @Drover. As you have said before, start at the beginning and work your way forward .