license for driving caravans rigs

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
in the news over the last couple days are mumblings about getting a license before going on the road with a caravan ,should start a spirited debate, the current situation where some one who has never driven anything bigger than a toyota echo (probably automatic) in the suburbs , can hit the road with a combination nearing the size of a semi is crazy, it would only work if it was national not state wide, probably also a good time to look at overseas licenses that are purchased without a test and then transferred to Australian heavy vehicle licenses, but all the tickets and fees in the world cant cure stupid

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
in the news over the last couple days are mumblings about getting a license before going on the road with a caravan ,should start a spirited debate, the current situation where some one who has never driven anything bigger than a toyota echo (probably automatic) in the suburbs , can hit the road with a combination nearing the size of a semi is crazy, it would only work if it was national not state wide, probably also a good time to look at overseas licenses that are purchased without a test and then transferred to Australian heavy vehicle licenses, but all the tickets and fees in the world cant cure stupid
Agree with your sentiments @poor but proud. But no law is any good unless it can be administered and enforced. That is where most "laws" fall down!! Random checks like RBT alcohol and drug testing may act as a deterrent when caravanners understand the weights and limitations on what they can tow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hitting the road

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
the most common replies will be ,ABUSE OF AUTHORITY,== WE DONT NEED MORE REGULATIONS,== ONLY APPLIES TO EVERYONE ELSE ON THE ROAD , ==WHY PICK ON ME ITS EVERYONE ELSE THAT STUPID == IM ONLY A LITTLE BIT OVERLOADED<

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Hmm interesting topic though. I have just been away for the weekend and some of the massive vans that passed me towed by mini trucks were as big as coaches and trucks that need a licence. Not saying I want one but could be an option.
Its a bit like getting in a six berth motor home on a standard licence, does not make sense really.

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
I can't see a special license or endorsement being implemented. But that said, as you note poor but proud, the many responses are already surfacing.

But really, the reality is vans are getting heavier, tow vehicles bigger, hence weights are increasing.
If you want to drive any truck that weighs more than 4500kg empty you need to have gained an MR license, and, you are required to carry a Log Book with restricted driving hours.
Yet, any one can go buy a caravan that weighs well above 3000kg, with a tow vehicle weighing anywhere from 2200kg upward, then becoming an articulated combination, and is not required to undergo any training....set off in to the sunset driving for as many hours as you wish.
Add to that there is no requirement to have the set up inspected...ever. No brake checks, no light checks, no nothing...just hit the road.

There are some that would welcome some additional driver training, but there are many who see any requirement as an impost on the personal lives.

The below was a classic example of stupidity...this bloke definitely needed a reality check! ...driving passed signs that read "Not Suitable for Trucks, Buses, caravans, Trailers. I have driven this road many times, no way would be dumb enough to tow my caravan up there!
But as you note poor but proud..."but all the tickets and fees in the world cant cure stupid"

iu

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I can't see a special license or endorsement being implemented. But that said, as you note poor but proud, the many responses are already surfacing.

But really, the reality is vans are getting heavier, tow vehicles bigger, hence weights are increasing.
If you want to drive any truck that weighs more than 4500kg empty you need to have gained an MR license, and, you are required to carry a Log Book with restricted driving hours.
Yet, any one can go buy a caravan that weighs well above 3000kg, with a tow vehicle weighing anywhere from 2200kg upward, then becoming an articulated combination, and is not required to undergo any training....set off in to the sunset driving for as many hours as you wish.
Add to that there is no requirement to have the set up inspected...ever. No brake checks, no light checks, no nothing...just hit the road.

There are some that would welcome some additional driver training, but there are many who see any requirement as an impost on the personal lives.

The below was a classic example of stupidity...this bloke definitely needed a reality check! ...driving passed signs that read "Not Suitable for Trucks, Buses, caravans, Trailers. I have driven this road many times, no way would be dumb enough to tow my caravan up there!
But as you note poor but proud..."but all the tickets and fees in the world cant cure stupid"

iu
You bring up some good points @Hitting the road. Did I read that "just hit the road" could almost be a version of your call sign?? Surely not!!!!
And as you said, fees and tickets won't cure stupid or non use of common sense. Anyone towing a 3000kg (unloaded, let alone loaded!!) with a 2200kg tug is already pushing the limits of sensibility IMHO. "The tail wagging the dog syndrome". To tow that sort of van, you need to be looking at the heavier tugs with the capacity to not only tow that weight, but control the load safely. Which pushes one up into the region of different classes of licences. If those that think that that is an impost on their personal lives, they should think about how they got their "C" class in the first place and the limitations of such a licence. I really don't care about what they do to themselves or tug/van combinations as long as they don't endanger me or other persons.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Have to agree with @Hitting the road , I can't see the implementation of a driving course for towing anything bigger than a box trailer happening, would be a monster which no government could or would implement, it would be farmed out to private contractors and end up being a rort, having done a VIP defensive driving course and taught a few folk to drive trucks, it would really need more than a day just to be worthwhile, who would provide the vehicles, the insurance and imagine the political fall out from when lots of folk get failed or would it be a rubber stamp, as surely many would fail, some wouldn't be able to pass a basic driving test I reckon..

Far more to it than a drive around the block, need a few old airfields to be test tracks a multi day course, one on one training and I doubt it could happen unless a grandfather clause for current van owners while new ones get eased into a course of some sort...... Well my view would be a test van with draw bar chains so you learn how to control slides/jack knifing etc but maybe my idea of a competent test is different to that envisaged by some ... it would certainly start with just defensive single vehicle driving then progress to towing something...

I see a need but the implementation is certainly beyond any political reality, it would require courage............... I still have my red banded HC ... once I hit 75 will probably drop the MC to HR but no further , I still have hopes of winning a Winnabago Longreach. ......

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands

iu
its not my fault ! i was not wearing my good specs and the the leaves covered the NOT part of the sign , so blame the greenies who will not allow trees to be trimmed,

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
its not my fault ! i was not wearing my good specs and the the leaves covered the NOT part of the sign , so blame the greenies who will not allow trees to be trimmed,

I have come across a sign like this , planted not far from start of hill, no turn around for long vehicles and a few miles from the start of the road where the sign should have been placed, thankfully I didn't have anything on the back .................... Come across a few that ignored the signs down south, idiots.... I once had a fit of sneezing and missed the sign Steep Descent once whilst in a Heavy, some snappy down shifts I can tell you.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
I have come across a sign like this , planted not far from start of hill, no turn around for long vehicles and a few miles from the start of the road where the sign should have been placed, thankfully I didn't have anything on the back .................... Come across a few that ignored the signs down south, idiots.... I once had a fit of sneezing and missed the sign Steep Descent once whilst in a Heavy, some snappy down shifts I can tell you.
there is a sign near the swimming pool at cleveland ( Redlands) that says says no trucks allowed on this road except for local deliveries, the sign is about 500 meters past the the last exit a truck could take, but you are correct the signs can be in places that leave it too late to have another plan

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
I confess that after towing the van along a difficult track to some landmark, and complaining that there should have been a sign, I spotted said sign at the entrance...:bolt:

• Wow
Reactions: Boots in Action