17' Series Levelling Blocks

SteveM

Feb 19, 2018
Aldinga Beach South Australia
Hi All,
We are reasonably new to caravanning. We have a 2012 dual axle expanda. When levelling with the dual axle do we use a levelling block under both wheels on one side or can this be done with just one wheel. I have heard a few different answers but the leveller we have is too long to fit between the two wheels if the two are required so will have to get new ones.

Thanks Steve

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you have independant suspension then you can get away with just using one but it's not ideal on some set ups, if leaf sprung then two is better then both springs are tensioned equally, using just one can put too much on just one............the main idea is to keep the suspension at it's normal aspect in relation to the chassis.
I used to just use one but then noticed one spring was getting high compression while the other was in its normal position.......as for buying new ones I cut about 50mm off the end of one of mine at a cross section and with a gentle kick it fits between the wheels, mostly though I get away with using 2 x 45mm blocks of timber under the tyres seem better than a ramp with chocks, plastic levellers aren't very good on river rocks either.....

SteveM

Feb 19, 2018
Aldinga Beach South Australia
If you have independant suspension then you can get away with just using one but it's not ideal on some set ups, if leaf sprung then two is better then both springs are tensioned equally, using just one can put too much on just one............the main idea is to keep the suspension at it's normal aspect in relation to the chassis.
I used to just use one but then noticed one spring was getting high compression while the other was in its normal position.......as for buying new ones I cut about 50mm off the end of one of mine at a cross section and with a gentle kick it fits between the wheels, mostly though I get away with using 2 x 45mm blocks of timber under the tyres seem better than a ramp with chocks, plastic levellers aren't very good on river rocks either.....
Hi Drover thanks for the reply, i have cut about the same off the ramp as per your sugestion and yes bit of a kick and fits. Ive also thrown few bits of timber in. Thanks again for your help, will get out soon and have a try.
Cheers Steve

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
We actually find with the independent suspension we also need to do both wheels. If you try and only do one most of the block is actually absorbed and the van doesn't really lift at all. That spring just compresses.

BaxnRach

Apr 5, 2013
Cobram Vic
I use these, this is just the first pic I found on ebay.
Screenshot_20181204-102218_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20181204-102218_eBay.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I got mine for a single axle originally, with Big Mal a dual axle job I looked at ones similar to those @BaxnRach , the price scared me off, so far the chop job on the longer ones is working but actually don't use them that much to warrant replacement anyway.