LC 200 VX KDSS Suspension Upgrade

TimandChaz

Apr 6, 2013
Secret Harbour
Hi all,

This is my first post. Last year we upgraded our 2010 Prado GXL D4D to a LC 200 VX Diesel. In the Prado I fitted rear Firestone airbags as I found the rear to be sagging even though I tried to pack evenly our then 2011 Swan Outback fitted with the upgraded axle. These airbags worked really well for me & levelled the rig.
In December we were heavily loaded, still with the Swan Outback but towed with our new LC 200 which also sagged (as per our avatar pic) The question I have is can I fit rear airbags with the KDSS suspension? We have subsequently sold the Swan OB & just ordered a new 2013 16.49 1OB which I am scared would make matters worse? Has anyone done this, are there any other recommendations?

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Hi Tim & Chaz, welcome to the forum :welcome: and look forward to seeing some pics of the new rig, as far as your question is concerned all I can advise is we have a 100 series Sahara fitted with airbags and it use to tow our Trak Shak nice and level. With us upgrading to an 18-57.6 I have invested in a Haymann Reece WDH and coupled with the airbags I'm hoping that we wont have any problems and ride nice and level.

Dave :peace:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi all,

This is my first post. Last year we upgraded our 2010 Prado GXL D4D to a LC 200 VX Diesel. In the Prado I fitted rear Firestone airbags as I found the rear to be sagging even though I tried to pack evenly our then 2011 Swan Outback fitted with the upgraded axle. These airbags worked really well for me & levelled the rig.
In December we were heavily loaded, still with the Swan Outback but towed with our new LC 200 which also sagged (as per our avatar pic) The question I have is can I fit rear airbags with the KDSS suspension? We have subsequently sold the Swan OB & just ordered a new 2013 16.49 1OB which I am scared would make matters worse? Has anyone done this, are there any other recommendations?

KDSS actually works with the sway bars, and nothing to do with he coils. you should be able to ad airbags no worries.

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
Yes you can fit them with the kdss. Nothing changes and as mentioned earlier, the KDSS is only to do with the sway bars.

I Have a VX with the KDSS and no worries for us. Note though, my bags can only take 30 psi. There is a new bag out now that can take 60psi and they have a canvas style case the polyair bag sits in to reinforce them. My Fathers VX has them installed in his car and I will most likely upgrade to them in the near future.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
A mate has a 200 and a 17.49 OB. Went off on a 1/2 lap - Sydney - Broken Hill - Flinders and up to Darwin before heading around the WA coast and back across the Nullabour. Anyway, by the time he got to Darwin, the standard springs and shocks were shot despite the WDH. HD aftermarket went in F&R and it sat right back up and is still going strong. So, a 200's standard suspension, like most other 4x4, isn't up to full loads & towing. For a couple travelling lighter than a family, parhaps with a lighter van, WDH and airbags may suffice.

Doesnt suprise me withsuspension nowadays. The Cruzas have always been a bit soft but there shocks we're tough, and OEM Toyota shocks were good to carry as spares.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yes you can fit them with the kdss. Nothing changes and as mentioned earlier, the KDSS is only to do with the sway bars.

I Have a VX with the KDSS and no worries for us. Note though, my bags can only take 30 psi. There is a new bag out now that can take 60psi and they have a canvas style case the polyair bag sits in to reinforce them. My Fathers VX has them installed in his car and I will most likely upgrade to them in the near future.

Andrew got anymore info on the Canvas bags? I swear I wouldn't have airbags again after the Paj, the bag rubbing on the spring used to creak and groan.

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
Not really Jim, but what I can tell you is that they are part of the coil right range by Firestone and sold by airbag man. You can buy it as a complete kit or just the liner if you are up to the task yourself.

Kritzy

Hi Tim & Chaz

We had the ARB ABM-Tech air suspension fitted to 2013 SAHARA which has KDSS and no problems. Cost around $ 700.00. We tow a OB 17-56 Hybrid with 400l of water and family of 5.

Previously we had a Prado Grande that came standard with pneumatic lift and what a pleasure that was. As you loaded her she would pop up to level automatically. Could also use the switch in the car to take the ball down and lift the van up without nose wheel adjustments.

The Sahara does not have that, so the airbags I believe the best substitute, 5 psi with no van and 22 psi with the van brings her back up nicely with 5 in the car, loaded with full engel fridge/ freezer and other toys. The van glides along nicely and ARB assure me no impact to KDSS at all. I think the electric brakes make the trips so much sweeter as well, but that is standard nowadays.

It is important to note they are there to assist the given suspension only and do nothing else. The car I see does stand up about 5mm with the airbags set at 7psi. So above 5 and I believe the airbags start to activate height. Apparently not to be run absolutely flat as the coils then damage them. We have done about 1800 km's with them in and no noise, no problems.

By virtue of the installation instructions to the new 200 series I would have them installed by the pro's, there seems to be notes on undoing and doing all kinds of components to get them in. Another negative is you need to check the psi fairly often to ensure the airbags have equal pressures.

Happy cruzing