16' Series Kia sportage towing expanda

NickM87

Jun 7, 2014
Perth WA
Would be really great if one of you folks could let me know what you think about my 2012 kia sportage cdi with a tow capacity of 1600kg and ball weigh limit of 200kg will be ok towing a 2009 expanda 16-49-3. Cant really find any exact figures and quite understand them.
If anyone could help i would greatly appreciate it!

Cheers Nick

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Do not know the weight of a 2009 16-49-3, but the current one is 1540kg (tare) from the web site. I would say that the Kia sportage would not be legally able to tow this van (this weight does not include the essential add on stuff). My prefference is to always have reserve, so as a permenant tow car for a 16-49-3 I would say definitly not.

The tare weigh,t I beleive, is that of the van as it comes out of the factory (completely empty), no water, no gas, no bedding, etc. So on a new one that leaves you 60kg (not even able to fill the water tank). And that assumes that the tare weight is correct.

Summary answer "it is a no from me"

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Do not know the weight of a 2009 16-49-3, but the current one is 1540kg (tare) from the web site. I would say that the Kia sportage would not be legally able to tow this van (this weight does not include the essential add on stuff). My prefference is to always have reserve, so as a permenant tow car for a 16-49-3 I would say definitly not.

The tare weigh,t I beleive, is that of the van as it comes out of the factory (completely empty), no water, no gas, no bedding, etc. So on a new one that leaves you 60kg (not even able to fill the water tank). And that assumes that the tare weight is correct.

Summary answer "it is a no from me"
Agreed.
Basically you need your vehicles tow capacity to be greater than the ATM (not the TARE). I would think the ATM on that van would be close to 2000kg. Not looking good.
Can you find out the ATM? It should be printed on the compliance plate, usually at floor level inside the door

Frosty

Jul 19, 2013
Redlands, S.E.Q.
Hi @NickM87 , the older they are generally the lighter they are. For example, our 2004 vintage tourer model 1649-1 has an ATM of 1497kg from memory which I guess the Sportage would be capable of handling. All that fibreglass on the post 2005 models really bumped up the mass of the average jayco!

Cheers, Frosty.

NickM87

Jun 7, 2014
Perth WA
Thanks for your response guys, I am picking the van up on saturday which is why im unclear but thats fine I can use my pajero for now, it was just that my wifes sportage is much newer and more comfortable, till I can afford to upgrade my car as well she will have to do.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
We have a new Hyunda ix35 so very similar car. This is the first car I have bought and didn't put a tow bar on. Ours is front wheel drive so I would not have even thought you could tow much with it so I didn't even research it. Sometimes you need to ask will my car stop in a hurry safely if needed with a van in tow. Good choice in towing with the Pajero and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Being able to phyically pull it would be no drama as your Kia has more torque than a current Hilux and not too far behind a Prado. But stopping might be another issue. I'd stick use the Pajero and get the family to follow in the Kia..enjoy the serenity.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
My son has a Hyundai ix35 and tows our old camper trailer with it - weight probably about 1200kg - does it easily - but would not want anything heavier.
Towing tends to chew out the back tyres - he fitted King springs to the rear which has given the car some lift and helped this issue.....