Kavs expander 18.5.6

kavs

Dec 30, 2012
Kalgoorlie, WA
Hi guys finally had time to write in this forum page! Well anyway ....

We took delivery of our new (well new for us!) 09 18.57.6 expanda just before New Years! We originally had a coromal silhouette but after seeing our new baby parked in a caravan shop on a camping trip at the beginning of December it was love at first site! After doing some research on line and finding out that it was a to good to be true absolute bargain we posted our old van up for private sale. 6 hours later it was sold! Another 12 hours later money hand our new panda was paid for and ready for pick up after Christmas :( oh well! The day of pickup I had just finished night shift and we were off for a 4 hour drive to pick up our baby, got to the caravan shop and we were told she isn't ready just greasing up the wheel bearings! Could not believe they had a whole week to get her ready and they leave it to the last day to grease the f'''ing bearings! That's cool off to the beach to see sammy the seal! Got back at said time and there still not finished! 60 mins later were getting a run through of everything in/on the van. 2 hours later were back on the road for another 4hour trip for me to get home! Well it was actually close to 400 Kms done in near to 3 hours as I had to start night shift again that night! I was rooted when I got home from work the next morning after being up for 36 hours with only 2hours sleep in the car with 2 screaming kids in the back but it was all worth (but not recommended) as our new panda was sitting in the driveway!

I first shake down trip was an 800km trip to bunbury to see all the family for post Christmas party! After 5 nights in the van we were thrilled with it, the first couple of nights was fine but by the 5 night I could see what everyone was complaining about with the bed, it was harder than concrete that last night, well onto eBay and bought a pillow top mattress protector, also bought some awning deflappers and a couple of different types of led lights to try!

I will post pics up later but wanted to first off say hi and to catch you guys up on recent events

Well now were sitting out the side of our van and overlooking the water of the bay of isles (esperance) and just loving life! Looking forward to getting a surf in tomorrow as well!

Happy camping!

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Hi Kavs welcome to "Expanda 18" world, it a whole new world as you're now discovering. Wishing you many years of enjoyable family adventures and look forward to your posts and pics.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Sammy the sea lion, what a show off. :heh: Does nothing but pose for tourist photos and beg for fish scraps. Loved him and took a lot of photos.

DSC_1191.JPG DSC_1199.JPG
DSC_1197.JPG DSC_1209.JPG

Esperence is a great spot, just a bit far away to visit often. :wink:

kavs

Dec 30, 2012
Kalgoorlie, WA
Well here are some pics of our first outing with the new van.

So far i have done the eye bolt tie down point on the awning.
I have also bought some led lights to see what they are like.
Will write about that later.
Going to do the underslung axle conversion next week on break.
Also planning on doing the fridge hotwire upgrade and battery wire upgrade plus some wiring for the future solar panels.
Also have some narva 12v fans to wire in for the bunk beds.
Its going to be a busy break.

Attachments

• P1080327.JPG
    P1080327.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 244
  • P1250339.JPG
    P1250339.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 253
  • P1250340.JPG
    P1250340.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 266
  • P1250341.JPG
    P1250341.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 241

kavs

Dec 30, 2012
Kalgoorlie, WA
These are the types of leds that i bought, 1 is a 24 led wedge globe, and the other is the 36 led panel.
P1300352.JPG

This is the 24 led wedge globe by itself.
P1300351.JPG

This is the 36 led panel globe by itself.
P1300350.JPG

This is with both sides 36 led panel.
P1300353.JPG

This is with both sides 36 led panel and a 24 wedge globe in the single near the bed ends.
P1300354.JPG

The wedge globes i will use for the single sided lights as i don't need much light from these, and the panel leds i will use for the double lights, very happy with the light output of these, will see how long they last for, but for only $2 for the pair i wont be complaining if i have to replace them once or twice a year.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
With the Leds's use a stronger double sided tape to hold them up as they don't stay on long with the supplied tape. I have the same ones :thumb:

Good luck with he other mods and take some pics as you go if you get a chance.

kavs

Dec 30, 2012
Kalgoorlie, WA
Well today on shift change i managed to do the axle conversion on one side of the van. Wow it is a significant lift is all that i can say. Took about 2 hours each spring, had to cut off the locating plate and move it to the top of the axle, that was only the difficult part.
Will remember to take some photos when i do the other side of how i did it, and post it up later.

kavs

Dec 30, 2012
Kalgoorlie, WA
How much of a lift are you opting with Kavs? Is there a recommended height. Or are ya opting for the outback height?

Hey Skippy
It is a standard hieght when doing the axle over conversion of the axle thickness and Sping pack thickness. It would roughly be about 4 - 5 inches (100 - 125mm). I forgot to measure mine before i did the conversion, but i measured the tow ball hieght after and its now 570mm, were before it mas roughly 460mm.

kavs

Dec 30, 2012
Kalgoorlie, WA
Well i have finished the axle over conversion and i am really happy with the way it turned out. I have taken some pics and will post up how i did it in the DIY page for anyone who wants a look.

Next plan is to fit the narva fans to the bunks. Might also upgrade the wiring to the fridge while i have it pulled out.