Electrical Jhub issues

Morden74

Jun 13, 2020
Melbourne
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and am looking forward to scrolling through tonnes of info as I learn more about our van.
We have a 2017 Jayco Expanda Outback 20.64-1.

My questions here relate to the Jhub.

1) I have installed two new AGM 105Amp/Hr batteries into my van and under the Jhub settings wanted to confirm I should input 210 Amp/Hr as the battery capacity.

2) Also the water tank 1 and 2 indicators also are displaying empty even though they are at least half full. They were showing full when we left. I will refill the tanks tomorrow to see if the display updates correctly but wanted to ask if anyone else had a similar issue?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,
Morden

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Welcome to the mob @Morden74 I did find with a mates unit that we had to adjust it to show 210ah also the cables for some reason needed to be the first ones on the battery terminals if you have others hanging off. have no idea why though .
Make sure your two batteries a re connected like this article or you won't be getting full value from them...https://caravanchronicles.com/guides/how-to-connect-two-batteries-in-parallel/

As for the tank senders, they are a mysterious bit of witchcraft I'm sure .....possibly shut down the JHub completely solar as well let it be completely dead for 15 mins then reboot it up and go from there...sometimes that fixes many ills.

Reactions: Morden74

Morden74

Jun 13, 2020
Melbourne
Thank you for your valued comments Drover, Crusty181 and Bente1982. I really appreciate it. I did not think to charge the batteries individually. I have had them installed as per Drover's link for the last week or so, so not sure if there is any point to take them out now and charge them separately? I have set the Jhub battery capacity to 210A/hr, so hopefully this will reflect charge status correctly. However, am thinking to purchase a additional battery monitor such as the Victron 712 or Projecta BM320 to more accurately measure the "%" of charge left in the batteries since the Jhub only estimates in terms of hours. We have a Swift Ecotherm heater installed (which we need in winter here in VIC) which cgruns through the battery (via its fan) overnight, so a more granular view of the remaining supply might be beneficial for us.
Also in regards to the water tanks monitors on the Jhub - I still have yet to try your suggestions but will hopefully get a chance during the week.
Thanks again for taking the time out reply!
Hopefully we will all be out and about cross border touring soon!
Safe travels!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
As for extra monitors, save your money and se how you go after a few runs, you will more than likely find once the novelty wears offf and you get to know your system and use better, the JHub monitor is more than enough, you will find it takes awhile for the system to get into the swing of things guessing how much is left........constantly watching it is like watching a fuel gauge near empty...

Morden74

Jun 13, 2020
Melbourne
Thanks Drover. Not a bad idea. We will put the Jhub through its paces next time we free camp and see how it measures our power overnight with the Swift Ecotherm cranking all night to keep our 1yo little bloke warm. Thanks again.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Thanks Drover. Not a bad idea. We will put the Jhub through its paces next time we free camp and see how it measures our power overnight with the Swift Ecotherm cranking all night to keep our 1yo little bloke warm. Thanks again.
Not related to the Jhub issues but I would like to know how well the Swift Ecotherm heater works. Are you happy with it?
Cheers.

Reactions: Drover

Morden74

Jun 13, 2020
Melbourne
It's no diesel heater, but The Swift Ecotherm does a pretty good job at taking the chill out of the air in less than almost freezing conditions for our van. The Expanda bedends definitely undermine the efficiency of the ecotherm in those really cold conditions but we have yet to try putting on our storm covers for additional insulation when really cold - which we are keen to try. Will let you know how that goes in the coming weeks.

Reactions: Drover