Jeep Wrangler 3.8 auto unlimited.

Stomper

Mar 6, 2013
Sunshine Coast
Hello all.

I have a quick question, just purchased a new 14.44-5 expanda outback and will be taking delivery within the next couple of weeks. We currently have a 3.8ltr petrol Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Auto, my pride and joy and am after info to how you guys think it will tow this van. i have spoke to the jayco Dealership and they say it should be fine just the tongue weight is on it's limit but as for power they think it will be fine.

Having spoken to Jeep Dealer they also say it should be fine, just after you guys opinion as you tow them ir reality. If there was a problem with the power or torque then I could have a supercharger fitted and have been told this would produce a whole different animal.

Have spoke to a few caravan ears around where I live and they say they have never seen a wrangler pulling a van. Was going to have the prodigy p3 brake controller fitted above the rear view mirror thus stopping you hitting it with knees etc.

pic of jeep attached.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 368
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 382

Stomper

Mar 6, 2013
Sunshine Coast
Hello, Tow Ball Weight is 170kg, all up weight is 2300kg. We are currently buying stuff for the van and going to pack as light as we can as from reading many caravan forums we see that the majority of people are towing way too heavy. We do have a tow hitch that steps down so as to keep the van level as the jeep does have a 2" lift.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Nice Jeep Stomper. That would be my dream setup having the Wrangler pulling a van. How good is that gonna be when you get to your camp and take off in the jeep for some fun. Awesome.

You dont see Wranglers pulling vans because you dont see grey nomads driving Wranglers... (I'm guessing your a young bloke/chick from your avatar).

Your Jeep having 315Nm of torque might be on the low side, but it's still going to be able to pull. If you supercharged it you might rip the drawbar off the van!!

The diesel Wrangler would be good. I'd like one of those but dont know how comfortable it would be on those long highway trips.

Make sure you post how it does tow it in the end.

POD

Dec 18, 2012
Newcastle Region
I had the same jeep. Towed an eagle first, moved onto a discovery 17 footer.

Mate, I'm not lying: it was and absolute dog. Cr@p fuel economy. Handled poorly until I fitted a weight distribution hitch. Wore out a few tyres trying to get the balance right. Lacked power, struggled to find the right gear.

Anyway, sold the jeep. Bought a navara 3.0 V6. Love it. Loads of power. Great economy. Never look back.

Jeep? You bought a Jeep? You WHAT?

sorry to burst your bubble mate. I will nevebuyout another Jeep. Second one, both disappointing.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey Stomper and :welcome: to the forum

I tow a 16.49-3 with a 2001 3.4L Petrol Auto Prado. It is rated at 303nm @ 3600RPM. It tows ok - we just did a 9300km Trip at christmas time. Going up hills it is a dog. Flat ground clearly fine. I will upgrade to a diesel 120 series 3L prado (343nm @ 2000) as I can't justify the fuel cost with the petrol.

So you have more nm than i do, I think and you have a lighter van and I would think a lighter car? so these are all positives in your case. But I do think it will be a dog up hills and it will be thirsty as hell. We get between 18 - 26 L / 100 kms towing depending on hills and wind.

I think i can tell the car is your pride and joy just by the sunny coast jeep club sticker. If it was mine and that was the car that I wanted / loved then i would first see how it did pull - maybe take it to Toowoomba - I go up the range in first gear LOL. Then make a decision on what to do. I think even if you supercharge it, whilst you will more than likely solve the pulling power issues it will still be heavy on the hip pocket.

Cheers
Ants

Stomper

Mar 6, 2013
Sunshine Coast
Thanks guys for your thoughts, like Antman has suggested I will see how it goes first and then take it from there! never really thought about it before but I'm not a grey Nomad yet but sometimes the wife has other opinions! So looking forward to getting out there and exploring with our setup, will post pic's when we collect the van and all our trips. Cheers Deano & Kim! :)

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
:welcome: to the forum Stomper

I see your dilemma its a great looking Jeep, :rockon: like others have mentioned see how it goes and make a decision then :thumb:

Stomper

Mar 6, 2013
Sunshine Coast
Hi Guys

Well the time is almost here to collect our New Van 14.44-5! So Excited!! Tuesday 18th it is! Well after much thought we will be collecting with it behind the Jeep but the Jeep is For Sale!! We are opting to go for a lowish mileage Disco or possibly the Range Rover route 2007 - 2010. Going to Test Drive both but will we think be in the 2.7ltr Diesel format both for economy and torque. If too slow then we bite the bullet and go V8! Anyone else on here using either of these 2,we would appreciate your thoughts / suggestions. Will post up pics on Tuesday! Cheers and will be good to meet up with some of you soon!