Exterior Jayco sealant ?

dosmos

Nov 15, 2012
SE Melb, Victoria
Does anyone know what sealant Jayco use for the exterior - want to replace/repair around windows & other joins and alike? Perhaps someone can recommend another brand type? Thanks DOS

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
I think it depends a bit on the construction. My 2015 starcraft with the pressed aluminum sides came with mastic around the windows and doors/hatches. You get it in a roll rather than in a tube so it's easy to apply. Works well , easy to remove later, but the downside is it squeezes out over a short time and looks very dirty.

Some use sikaflex 221 or similar. This is very strong and lasts well, but very very difficult to remove. So I only use it on things like roof brackets and important roof seams

Some use a good quality (eg roof&gutter) silicon. This is usually strong enough for most applications, easy to apply, not so difficult to remove (ok a pain to scrape off), and lasts well. My windows, door, hatches, vents are all silicone now

Reactions: Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Does anyone know what sealant Jayco use for the exterior - want to replace/repair around windows & other joins and alike? Perhaps someone can recommend another brand type? Thanks DOS
Hi @dosmos , I have successfully used Selleys Flexiseal , a white polyurethane sealant for waterproofing gaps around my van and especially on the roof areas. It has very strong bond strength, has great sealing and gap filling qualities, is very flexible and is much stronger than ordinary silicon types. Easy to apply, and not affected by UV too much. Difficult to remove, but not as much as Sika. Stays white. Can only be removed by scrapping or cutting after setting. Tack free in 70 minutes and fully cured in 24 hours for 3mm bead. Obtainable from Bunnings.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Last edited:

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Some use a good quality (eg roof&gutter) silicon. This is usually strong enough for most applications, easy to apply, not so difficult to remove (ok a pain to scrape off), and lasts well. My windows, door, hatches, vents are all silicone now
I forgot to add that some repair centres also use a foam sealing tape and then silicon/sealant on the visible seam. My 4 seasons roof vent uses this system.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I did an answer but I think I stuffed it on an edit using my phone ................... Roof and Gutter sealant usually, though for windows and vents I do the foam strip with an edge of a sealer that stays slightly pliable, a mastic type, windows like a bit of flex I have found ........... plastic vents, they can be damaged and if you whack them down with something like Sika Marine adhesive you are in for trouble when you try to replace them...... I know that for a fact.

If its just about the mastic stuff oozing and yucky looking, just trim it off exess with a plastic knife/scrapper, if wall or roof sealant is just mouldy but not lifting or peeling then leave it be, if its not leaking or lifting leave well enough alone I reckon, replacing is not a half arsed job you must go all the way and having a well prepped surface is most important or you a in for trouble...... Fibreglass vans you can use turps etc to clean off silicon but don't use anythng like it on tiin vans or your paint will come off............. The screws holding doors and windows on have to be handled with care and gently tighten, they have very little to grab so will tear away easily.

Last edited: