Jayco poptop

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
Hi all,
I fairly new to the site and would like some advice on a pop top. We are heading to the show tomorrow to possibly purchase a camper. I have a wife and 2 kids, 4 and 1. we are looking at either the swan or eagle outback model and would love to know what options are a must to have. All responses would be greatly appreciated.

fishinglizard

Nov 4, 2012
West of Sydney East of Lithgow
Save your self an upgrade and go straight for the 14 series expanda with bunks in the back and a bed at the front, search moto moto he has one. Most people start out with a swan eagle act, but 9 times out of ten they end up changing it a year or 2 in. the 14-4-4 expanda is only 300 kg heavier than a swan outback. I had a hawk for 7 years. We loved camping in it, but at the end of the day the set up was a hassle. If I was starting out with first time van again I would go a 14.4.4 with external shower.

bigbertha

Oct 6, 2012
port elliot sa
we started with the swan and although we loved it we couldnt wait to upgrade to an expanda we have the 16-49-1 .the set up time for a camper was atrocious , especially in wet weather. and the pack up time we wont even go there. we wish that we had skipped the camper stage and went straight to expanda but i guess we all have to start somewhere and within our budgets. good luck with the decision making im sure you will enjoy what ever path you take.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Good luck with your purchase! As for options...

- Hot water system
- External shower
- Innerspring mattresses
- check the how many power points and 12v points
- if you can afford it go for the outback (better demand in resale) and the outback pack is more than just the extra clearance
- Maybe a gas outlet for the bbq (though we don't as we have a 4kg bottle that fits on our bbq stand so we can move the bbq to where-ever we are.

I'd skip on the DVD player and speakers and look at getting a blue tooth speaker to link your phones too.

I'm sure other's that have the swan/eagle will be able to add to your list.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Welcome to the forum, we chose the Hawk over the Swan and Eagle as the kitchen isn't opposite the dining table especially with little ones walking around inside.

One end for cooking the other for drawing,playing etc and away from the hot stuff

Good luck:)

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
Hi Les
Either the Hawk or Eagle are a great choice. I too have made the move from a Dove onto the 14.44.4 O/B with bunks and love it, but the campers are great also. we had ours for seven years and also loved it.
Don't know what your tow vehicle is but I would still go for the outback version as it just make it easier for some of the uneven campgrounds. They also have better resale value and sell easier.2nd water tank is very handy, battery pack for non powered sites, Full Annex, and I would strongly recommend a small awning on the non annex side as this allows you to keep the plastic windows open for ventilation during rain and a bit extra privacy (I had this on mine). We sold ours after seven years and got $1600 less than what we paid for it. So if you keep it in good shape they hold their value. This was one of the reasons that helped us make our decision to upgrade to the 14.44.4 O/B.
Good luck at the show and keep us posted.
Cheers
Dave

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi Les,
Welcome to the forum. Being an ex Swan owner and now having our Expanda, we didn't know ourselves once in the Expanda. the Swan was our choice then as we liked the storage arrangements. Think of where your going to store it for parking space and the total weight of the van so your tow vehicle will cope well, should it be automatic, think of adding another transmission cooler.

Totally agree with Andrea's thoughts, very good options to have, will help with resale in the future too when you get an Expanda, because you will get an Expanda. Be sure to have the bed end flys (covers) and possibly a complete annexe for the awning so you store those things out of sight. Good luck tomorrow.

Cheers Pace.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Found the Aussie Mate a great addition on our Flamingo. It's a simple enough awning set up on the off side that lets leave window open and keeps wet weather out and adds an extra degree of privacy.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I've had Eagle, Swan and now Expanda, though you have the camper in mind and most likely for price etc I'd still compare the camper against say the Expanda 14 you might be surprised, I was at the show today though wasn't really looking at prices etc

Oh and most dealers, will keeps the show prices going for a few weeks after, so don't feel pressured when they say "this price is only for the show."

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
Found the Aussie Mate a great addition on our Flamingo. It's a simple enough awning set up on the off side that lets leave window open and keeps wet weather out and adds an extra degree of privacy.

Just bought the Flamingo outback model. So excited. Will look into your suggestion on the aussie mate. Just a quick question, is it worth getting the roof rack, and are you able to carry bikes on a rack with the van attached? We are sorting out the options, what have you or others found handy and what was a waste of money?

Thank you

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Just bought the Flamingo outback model. So excited. Will look into your suggestion on the aussie mate. Just a quick question, is it worth getting the roof rack, and are you able to carry bikes on a rack with the van attached? We are sorting out the options, what have you or others found handy and what was a waste of money?

Thank you
Didn't go roof rack. Would depend on what you wished to put on top. I used a towball mounted bike rack that fitted with Flamingo hitched (Easydrive Engineering, Tullamarine, I think). Search bike racks on this forum for a good range of solutions. Also Google "tow ball bike carrier" for ideas.