Exterior Jayco Paint match

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Just thought this may be of help, I'm a retired signwriter of 45 years and have been using this paint for a long time so thought I would see how it would match on my van.
I have a 2012 Jayco Poptop and all the plastic fittings on the outside e.g. fridge vents, handles, power cover etc have all gone yellow. I masked them up gave them a very light sand and a clean and sprayed them with this paint. The match is close on perfect and having used it on all sorts of materials it sticks to most anything. If you want to try it I would suggest that you see how it matches on your van in a inconspicous place first. It can be bought in the big green shed for about $12 a can.

Attachments

• 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 631
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 695
  • 3 (2).jpg
    3 (2).jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 576
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 615

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Didn't have to spray the plastic bits with the plastic primer first ????

Now that's just what I'm after, external handles on Big Mal have gone yucky but previously have had mixed results with using a plastic primer coat first.
Pics look great.

RickB

Jul 22, 2017
Vic
So would it be a good idea for new van owners to spray the plastic as a preventative measure.
I’m guessing it would stop the uv from making the plastic brittle as well.

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
So would it be a good idea for new van owners to spray the plastic as a preventative measure.
I’m guessing it would stop the uv from making the plastic brittle as well.

In my opinion I would just leave it until you see it going yellow. The plastic is durable on its own and dosen't seem to break down and only goes yellow. The paint like all paint will eventually deteriorate. From 2012 to date none of the plastic on my van went brittle just yellow and it's been in the sun for most of that time.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I just bought a can from Bunnings yesterday so will be pulling the handles and other fittings off Big Mal soon.........................

Noticed the cans come in an assortment of colours as well................

Last edited:

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Like I said in my original post I've used it all type of things but as far as durability is concerned I sprayed some pot plants, some metal and some concrete, as well as some out door chairs. Some of the pot plants outside have been there 3 years now and still look as good as the day they were done. The chairs sit outside are painted red a colour that usually fades quickly, they have been there 2 years and still look good. All this leads me to believe that the white on the van should do OK. Only time will tell especially on the van front where it will cop the most abuse. In saying all this if I get a decent amount of time (say 3 years) out of it on the van then I will be happy and do it again, it's an easy job and keeps the van looking new.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That's great, I know their hammer finish in the spray cans is fantastic.