Jayco Factory Solar Setup ?

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Hey all, Just a question as to your thoughts on solar setups ?
We have just ordered an 18.57-8 outback expanda model. I ended up ordering dual batteries. I have not had anything to do with solar setups, so to you people out there that have.
Is it a smart idea to order the setup as the factory option & is it a good setup solar system out of the factory ? My Jayco rep in Cairns here said I could carry a geny to recharge the batteries, but kind of liking the idea of not having to worry about the batteries at all due to a solar setup. OR am I being a bit blind to the fact that they will need further recharging from time to time.
My next question is if fitted with a solar factory setup can I still carry a geni for recharging batteries if need be & can recharging from a geni still be done if you have a solar setup on the roof ?
Any feedback from you guys in the know would be real bloody handy.

Cheers,
Doggy.

jbell6660

Apr 30, 2011
Sydney
Hey all, Just a question as to your thoughts on solar setups ?
We have just ordered an 18.57-8 outback expanda model. I ended up ordering dual batteries. I have not had anything to do with solar setups, so to you people out there that have.
Is it a smart idea to order the setup as the factory option & is it a good setup solar system out of the factory ? My Jayco rep in Cairns here said I could carry a geny to recharge the batteries, but kind of liking the idea of not having to worry about the batteries at all due to a solar setup. OR am I being a bit blind to the fact that they will need further recharging from time to time.
My next question is if fitted with a solar factory setup can I still carry a geni for recharging batteries if need be & can recharging from a geni still be done if you have a solar setup on the roof ?
Any feedback from you guys in the know would be real bloody handy.

Cheers,
Doggy.
I'd like to add aquestion to doggys post if i can and that is can you charge the batteries via the solar panel on the roof (through the regulator as normal) and the vans anderson plug from the tug at the same time?? Rgds Jim.

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
I ended up ordering the solar setup for a couple of reasons.
One being the tare of the van will be with all options fitted therefore increasing the ATM(that's my understanding anyway, could be wrong though)
Secondly its all fitted at factory so I won't have to drill any holes in the van either....and I'm lazy..lol

I also have an anderson plug at the front for charging the batteries through another solar panel or a geni . The 12pin plug will also charge batteries while you're driving.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I went with the solar provision then fitted 2 panels and the regulator myself.
I do also have a yamaha geni which you could top up the batteries if need be , which we use to run the AC,microwave or heater if we need to, and have had no problems affecting the solar setup.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Doggie I am not a solar expert so I could be misleading you a little.

I would think with twin batteries you will need more than the standard 100watt panel to keep both charged at a respectable rate. Nispat is correct and anything factory fitted will Goto the tare, anything after will not, so if you need say 200watts of panels and reg you may lose 15-25kg of your payload, which I think is 475kg and includes all your water and gas as well. But Also consider that if you do choose to fit roof top panels they will be useless to you if you park your van under one of those beautiful FNQ palm trees. So a folding 200+watt panel that can be plug into your Anderson plug and positioned in full sun may be a better bet?

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
achjimmy, Thats ok mate u r not a solar expert, but u do make sense.
I like the idea of factory fitted but like most things in life aftermarket stuff can be of better quality & cheaper priced.

I like the idea of the fold out 200 watt panel.

If I just order on the van the anderson plug fitted up will the solar fold out come ready to plug into the plug on the van ? reason I ask because I can do almost everything but hate mucking around with electrics & similar, I have no idea in this area.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I have the factory solar, (single panel) feeding single 100amp battery, also have Anderson Plug charging from tug, seems to work OK , though so far haven't done more than two nights of power. Would suggest you really only need a gennie if you want to run 240 appliances, AC, Microwave etc or if you intend on doing long periods away from power and get non sunny days.

the way I understand it is while the battery switch is on, the system will choose the best source for charging, 240 if on power/gennie, 12v from the tug while travelling or the Solar if nothing else is available, however I do wonder if the solar charges while in transit, because far as i can tell the solar and anderson go straight to the battery, any 240 source goes via the onboard Setec power unit.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
When selecting solar panel size for your van it is not so much the size and number of batteries but the amount of power you intend to use. For example if you are only using your 12v for led lighting and a little tv then 100w panel will do just fine. If however you are going to run your tv plus a dvd player and maybe a 12v amplifier for hours on end then a 100w panel is not going to cope and you battery will eventually go flat . Add to this you are bound to get cloudy and rainy days when the panel will not produce a lot of power. Thats where your larger battery capacity will help to keep you going until the sun comes back out. You must decide if you are a heavy or light power user and get a panel that will supply your needs.