Suspension Is it unusual that a single axle destiny has a 475kg payload?

DiDExceed

Nov 2, 2012
Kuluin, Queensland
Hey everyone, i was just trying to work out weights for my van and was wondering if it was unusual to have a 475kg payload on a single axle van, i always thought it was 300kg single, 400kg tandem, anyway, my atm is 1906kg and my tare is 1431kg.
Im just being particular as i know solar and the wineguard was added after purchase before i got it, and ive now added an outdoor shower, table hatch 2 95l tanks instead of what was there and will be adding a grey water tank which wont have anything in it for long or often.

I have a 2000kg axle and 12" brakes with im pretty are paralell bearings. The tyres i put on recently are rated at 1030kg each

On a side note, are axle and tyre weight ratings based on the atm or gtm, as the weight on the axle and wheels is gtm so in theory i could up my 1751kg gtm to 2000kg and with a towball weight of 250kg increase atm to 2250kg with the appropriate mod plate of course, the only thing i'd have to do is add a breakaway?

Someone tell me if im totally off track?

Thanks Ryan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 189
Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
According to Jayco,
300kg single axel
375kg single with shower
400kg dual axel
475kg dual with shower
So yes its unusual according to Jayco published specs

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
My 2012 16.52.3 Discovery single axle with shower is,
Tare: 1532kg
ATM: 1907kg
So 375kg Load
Thats how it came out of the factory with battery and solar panel fitted. With only a max of 164kg on the ball it take a bit of juggling to get the Ball weight sorted.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
How did I miss this ?????

Tyre load ratings are on the tyres same as wheel ratings, disregard most of what is on compliance plate , ATM should be correct but everything else is probably wrong.
Single axles are usually rated at 2 ton but like tyres have a 10% limit so they are really only 1800kg.
Oh and water tanks don't seem to ever hold what they are quoted as holding, with all you have added, like my old single axle you are probably over so just get better rims, tyres and upgrade springs.

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
From experience, don't believe anything on the compliance plate. Mine had 14" tyres and 15" wheels!
My quoted ball weight was also a work of fiction - have spent many hours tweaking the camper to sit and tow better, although not before the ball weight destroyed the rear springs on my ute.

Reactions: Drover

DiDExceed

Nov 2, 2012
Kuluin, Queensland
Been a while since i've been on here, so i've done a few things to the van since my post, i made the 7 hour round trip to see an engineer that understood what i wanted to acheive and had done it before, after the fitment of my new tyres (235/75R15 1030kg rated) i fitted a breakaway unit smand upgraded the chains at his request , I have a nice blue modification plate fitted next to my vin plate stating a new GTM of 1999kg and an ATM of 2249kg my new tyre size, tyre pressure and code for suspension modification (underslung) he spent hours measuring eveything and checking tensile strenghth of the chassis and drawbar steel, brake, axle and wheel bearing spec. So im very happy now.