Electrical Internal Roof Lights Not Working

Oct 16, 2015
Melbourne
Hoping someone can assist or at least point in right direction.

Have a 2014 17.56-2 OB Expanda.

About 6 months ago I noticed that the 3 internal roof lights were very dim. A week or so later they stopped working all together.

I have noticed a couple of people have raised a similar issue on the forum with their lights. Although there really hasn't been a definitive answer as to what the cause / issue was. Some answers appeared simple - is fuses / door switch to the more complicated with the actual Setec unit.

Had a leak in the skylight seal that cause internal water damage to the roof. Have since fixed the leak and thinking that maybe this has caused an issue to the wiring / joins in the actual roof - if not just very co-incidental.

Have established that everything else on 12v plugged into the back of the Setec Unit is working correctly. Also wired up a splade fuse box direct to the battery and moved everything across just to double check and confirm each socket / fuse on the Setec was getting power - all good. Have ruled out an issue with the Setec unit.

Batteries are fully charged and working well. Confirmed via Multi Meter as well as both battery monitoring units inside the Van. Van has been / is plugged into 240v Power so maintaining a charge as well as the Solar Panels keeping the batteries topped up.

Everything on 240 Volts when plugged in is also working correctly.

I've replaced each light with new ones as well as the on/off switch near the door just in case either was faulty. Makes no difference. Confirmed after that each light is working correctly as have plugged into the bed ends to power and confirm.

Have traced the 12v wiring for the internal roof lights into the overhead cupboard above the window / table.

13.3 Volts coming in. 13.3 volts going out to the Gray / Grey White Wires that go to Lights.

Nothing being registered at any of the ends where the lights are wired in.

There is a breakdown somewhere from the join at cupboard to the actual light fitting.

There is no slack with the wires coming out of holes in the roof for for the light fittings as it looks to be all compacted with the roof insulation so I can't follow from that end.

Does anyone have any idea where the wires go from the overhead cupboard into the roof ? I assume that they have to go somewhere to join together in sequence with the other 2 lights ?

Is there another location for this - or are all of the joins etc in the actual roof and the only way to get to this is pulling the internal roof down ?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Certainly sounds like a join has let go or the cable has been compressed enough to break (sandwiched between something).
Okay youv'e covered the basics now to isolate which line, identify the POS wire and using a seperate earth lead connected to a tested earth point on van test the POS wire at various points from that cupboard join to the light fitting, you can use a pin stuck into the cable as a probe, this should tell you if that wire is live if not then its your failure, try the earth as well using a POS wire known to be live.....also check all the junctions/terminals for continuity that join at the cupboard sounds suss, any crimp joiner in a van should be eyed with suspicion.............. Pop Toproof where the cable runs in the vinyl could be the spot where a break has occured.
If you have to rerun cable thru the roof it can be/will be a big pain sometimes cunning can be employed but roof lining removal is the usual.