Insurance Cover after Modification

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Hello all and I guess looking around the margins, Merry Christmas.

I have been following the thread regarding CIL Insurance's cover of contents with soft walls with interest, so I actually started to read my CIL PDS. What I found is that it is more boring than the the 'Official Secrets Act' and is better than prescription sleeping medication.

I also came across a section called, "when we may refuse a claim". For the most part it was commonsense really saying that they may refuse a claim if you drove your van through Syria carrying weapons of mass destruction with an unregistered and unroadworthy vehicle after breakfast with Charlie Sheen and therefore as drunk as a Lord and as high as a kite on cocaine. Seems fair enough to me!

One part, however, got me thinking. On page 12 it states, "We may refuse to pay a claim if: .... your caravan has been converted or modified by someone other than the manufacturer and these details are not shown in your schedule."

I look with envy at some of the modifications you do to your vans, so I wondered if this section might apply to anyone?

I would hate anyone to be refused a claim simply because they hadn't advised CIL, or assumably other insurance companies of modifications that were made!

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
All you have to do is let them know what mods you have done and added i.e. Toolbox on front, TV mounted, Bike Rack on Back etc etc and they will add it to your Schedule and then you are covered, I keep updating mine everytime I add a new Gadget, my broker is emailing me a list of what is on my schedule tomorrow and I will add a few new gadgets because I cant remember whats on there since the last time I updated it
Cheers Grant

Probably should add that you would need to do this with your car as well, when you add things like a roo bar, roof rack, spotties etc etc

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
All you have to do is let them know what mods you have done and added .

Probably should add that you would need to do this with your car as well, when you add things like a roo bar, roof rack, spotties etc etc

This is true, but I have found that there is a limit to what some insurance companies cover as extras, money wise, I hit my limit of $10000 of after market accessories, so I listed the ones that were more important, like canopy, bullbar, winch radio, etc. A lot of the other stuff could be recovered, but some of them would need replacing if in an accident.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
That's the point I am trying to make here. I'm not trying to attack insurance companies, all I am suggesting is after you modify your van you inform them.

This will ensure that your modification is covered & your van insurance isn't voided.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Thats rights BOD. This has been a clause on car insurance and I assume Van insurance for quite some time. As long as I can remember. What you have to remember with the insurance companies, most will allow you add all your modifications and not charge you anymore on the premium provided the total $$$ covered does not increase. If you have an agreed value rather than the market value you can choose what dollar value of the mods would be covered.

Cheers
Antman