Electrical Install Winegard Sensar in 17.56 Outback

saulc

May 7, 2018
Melbourne
I'm considering installing the Winegard wind up TV antenna in my 2013 17.56-2 Outback and I'm curious to understand how the running of the cable works. Where do I run it to so it will distribute to the existing TV points and have a booster installed? It also makes me nervous cutting a hole in the roof - where do others normally install them?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That's a very good question you have brought up, most have them already installed. I'm on a phone at the moment so unless someone chimes in before I will try to help once I get to my laptop.
I should point out if your going to the trouble ensure you are fitting a Winegard snow drop aerial not one if the horizontal bar types they will only pick up horizontal transmissions, vertical signals only within a few kms....there's a thread about it all on here...

saulc

May 7, 2018
Melbourne
That's a very good question you have brought up, most have them already installed. I'm on a phone at the moment so unless someone chimes in before I will try to help once I get to my laptop.
I should point out if your going to the trouble ensure you are fitting a Winegard snow drop aerial not one if the horizontal bar types they will only pick up horizontal transmissions, vertical signals only within a few kms....there's a thread about it all on here...
Thanks Drover. Yes, I had read that the snow drop style was the way to go - I was just surprised I hadn't been able to find any posts about installing it. My van has antenna points in it but I'm not sure where I tap into them.

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
I need a new antenna but not sure which way to go. Not sure if something permanent on the roof is worth it or not, but would make set up easier.
Must see if there is a thread on TV arials

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Put up a couple of pics of your aerial connection points, fitting a wind up unit when there hasn't been one before will takes a lot of careful planning, I owuld advise to go and have a look at some pop top rigs that have them, routing the cable thru the roof section will be difficult and require good planning, you can only drill once.............if the cable could then be routed into a cupboard where you could fit the booster close enough for the TV to plug into you would be on a winner as running down the inside of the wall would be very hard......you would also need to source some 12v power to run the booster, so lots of thought so being able to check out interiors similar to yours would be a great advantage...................... I would go for a portable on a post set up with a thru the wall socket, units like a Saturn are brilliant, light and not bulky, just plug it in and stick it up in air no need for turning around stuff as its omni directional, cost about the same as a full Winegard set up.