Electrical Ignorance may be bliss, but won't keep your power going!!

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
@Boots in Action - forgive my ignorance here. I have the "standard" Setec controller (whatever that was on a 2016 Expanda) and upgraded to the Drifta panel. It shows load (in Amps) and either charging or discharging (am I producing or consuming power from/to the battery). That parts seems to work OK.

I replaced the standard PWM controller supplied by Jayco with a Victron 100/30 SmartController (Love it - batteries now charge to 14.something volts as per whats written on the side of the battery). As it was a straight swap out the Victron only has Solar and Battery connected - no load.

Is it possible to monitor the load on both the Drifta AND the Victron? Are there any negative issues with doing this?

Oh - I also have a portable solar Blanket (Kings cheapie - but it seems to work OK). I was producing around 8A @ 14V on the weekend using an inline meter. Currently I would be hooking this blanket (and the supplied cheapie PWM controller) via the Anderson that I normally connect to my car if it was an overcast day. I am guessing the fixed Panel/Victron and portable/PWM would be fighting each other a little (detecting an artifically high voltage and thus limiting the amount of energy put into the battery at any time). Is there a better way of wiring the portable blanket directly when needed to the Victron (and removing the PWM controller)? Don't want to over complicate it, but also keen to generate all the power we can when needed as we will be on the road for 6 months.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
@Boots in Action - forgive my ignorance here. I have the "standard" Setec controller (whatever that was on a 2016 Expanda) and upgraded to the Drifta panel. It shows load (in Amps) and either charging or discharging (am I producing or consuming power from/to the battery). That parts seems to work OK.

I replaced the standard PWM controller supplied by Jayco with a Victron 100/30 SmartController (Love it - batteries now charge to 14.something volts as per whats written on the side of the battery). As it was a straight swap out the Victron only has Solar and Battery connected - no load.

Is it possible to monitor the load on both the Drifta AND the Victron? Are there any negative issues with doing this?

Oh - I also have a portable solar Blanket (Kings cheapie - but it seems to work OK). I was producing around 8A @ 14V on the weekend using an inline meter. Currently I would be hooking this blanket (and the supplied cheapie PWM controller) via the Anderson that I normally connect to my car if it was an overcast day. I am guessing the fixed Panel/Victron and portable/PWM would be fighting each other a little (detecting an artifically high voltage and thus limiting the amount of energy put into the battery at any time). Is there a better way of wiring the portable blanket directly when needed to the Victron (and removing the PWM controller)? Don't want to over complicate it, but also keen to generate all the power we can when needed as we will be on the road for 6 months.

Hi @Macca_75, you certainly have upgraded your solar electrical system with both the Drifter panel for information and the Victron MPPT controller for greater conversion of your solar panels. To answer your questions in order:
Drifter system - no problems as it does what it is supposed to, but in basic format - .amps in and amps out, battery state and a guide to power time left at current usage.
The Victron MPPT controller is a very sophisticated piece of equipment with many options for readouts and voltage settings. These settings and programmes are user adjustable to suit battery type, max voltage setting, float voltage settings, LVD and LVR as you see best for your usage and battery protection. There are many other readouts available such as daily usage in AH and charge input AH , graphs etc. Definitely all you need to monitor all electrical scenarios. I assume you have gone into this already yourself. Your Victron SOLAR will charge your van battery/ies at a better rate (and higher voltage if you have AGMs) than the standard Setec ST20/35 Series III if that is what is in your van. The BMPro is a better charger/power supply than the Setec in my opinion, and this was fitted to later model vans.
So no problems with both monitoring the system at the same time...the drifter basic info at that time, and the Victron much more detailed with continuous logging and history.

Not a good idea to connect PWM solar controllers to the same battery bank as a MPPT controller. The MPPT controller is constantly changing voltage and amps to get the max into battery, whilst the PWM is basically an ON/OFF switch based on the fixed max voltage set in the controller.
The best way to connect your solar blanket is to BYPASS the solar blanket controller and run output wires from that to the same input wire terminals on the Victron controller ie paralleling both inputs. The Victron has a capacity to handle 30A so should be no problems there. You do not want to remove controller on blanket as you may need to use it on some other battery charging..car etc. Just connect good quality wiring 8 B&S or similar from blanket outputs (bypassing controller) to an Anderson plug at side of van . Wiring from this external socket can then be run to and connected to Victron Solar input terminals. Extra input available at any time you want and solar blanket still fully suitable for other normal purposes when controller required. Hope this helps.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
The best way to connect your solar blanket is to BYPASS the solar blanket controller and run output wires from that to the same input wire terminals on the Victron controller ie paralleling both inputs.
Thanks @Boots in Action .

I've already adjusted the Victron to suit the battery and am really happy with the logging/charging. Easy DIY for any van.

The blanket has an Anderson between the blanket and the PWM controller so removing it is no big deal.

Can I run mismatched panels in parallel to the Victron? I assume the fixed and portable will have different voltages, etc. Won't this impact either of the panels and prevent them from acheiving their max output?

If so I'll just run some 6mm or 8mm B&S cable from the Victron to an Anderson and I can plug the portable mat directly into it. I'll just put a dust cap on it when I don't have the portable mat plugged in (assuming this will have around 20V open circuit across the pins from the fixed panel)

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Thanks @Boots in Action .

I've already adjusted the Victron to suit the battery and am really happy with the logging/charging. Easy DIY for any van.

The blanket has an Anderson between the blanket and the PWM controller so removing it is no big deal.

Can I run mismatched panels in parallel to the Victron? I assume the fixed and portable will have different voltages, etc. Won't this impact either of the panels and prevent them from acheiving their max output?

If so I'll just run some 6mm or 8mm B&S cable from the Victron to an Anderson and I can plug the portable mat directly into it. I'll just put a dust cap on it when I don't have the portable mat plugged in (assuming this will have around 20V open circuit across the pins from the fixed panel)

Well now @Macca_75, we are getting technical!! It is something I have never thought about as I have my panels in Series where mismatched panels' wattage (output) will have a bearing on total current to MPPT controller. So, I am going to stick my neck out and provide you with info I have researched and my understanding of how it works. If there are some really top notch "Tech Heads" on this forum, please do not hesitate to correct me or add your knowledge.

Lets work on all your panels having a working voltage (Vmp) of 17.5 to 18.5 volts. That is close enough as I am unaware of any many reasonable panels grossly outside these parameters under test conditions. Heat lowers voltage considerably!! And let's say the total current produced by both at one time amounts to 15 A. Therefore the total wattage generated is calculated as 18v X 15A equals approx 270 watts. Now the MPPT controller is constantly sensing BATTERY voltage and uses the difference between panel voltage and battery voltage to convert this difference into more amps. So say battery voltage is 12.4 volts. If we divide the total wattage available by the current battery voltage, we get what total current is available at that voltage to charge battery. So, 270 divided by 12.4 gives us 21.77A. We still have 270 watts (ignoring losses of approx 2% to 5%.). Therefore, I do not believe there will be any significant problem in that regard as MPPT controller will probably work on the mean voltage of the two panels. ?????

In sunny conditions, the voltage at the Anderson plug with wiring connected to Victron input would be van roof panel voltage - not OCV but Vmp (Working voltage of van solar panels, probably around 16 to 18 volts depending on load but zero when no light - dark).
Your last paragraph regarding connection from solar mat to Anderson plug on van is the way to go. I hope you understand all this. Cheers.

Reactions: Macca_75

Ken_61

Sep 9, 2021
Perth, Western Australia
Just reviving this thread as I am looking at rewiring my TP1230 as suggested by @Boots in Action however I have a question. With the Setec controller now connected to the TP1230's Lights Output instead of the battery won't that mean I can no longer trickle charge my camper battery when on 240v as it will no longer connect directly?

Cheers,

Ken.

Reactions: Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Just reviving this thread as I am looking at rewiring my TP1230 as suggested by @Boots in Action however I have a question. With the Setec controller now connected to the TP1230's Lights Output instead of the battery won't that mean I can no longer trickle charge my camper battery when on 240v as it will no longer connect directly?

Cheers,

Ken.
Hi @Ken_61 , and welcome to the forum. There is no need to worry about that if you follow the amended circuit. Just to clear up a few points. The input for the solar panels to controller remains the same and has no bearing on 240 volt charging with Setec. The wiring for the Battery connections to controller remains the same and has no bearing on 240 volt charging with the Setec. The important part to understand is that all the LOADS that used to be distributed by the Setec unit is now routed via the LOAD terminals on solar controller. This also has NO bearing on any charging by the Setec unit. The Setec unit independently charges the battery regardless of any loads that may be on the battery circuit. By directing the loads via the solar controller, battery power is obtained via the solar battery connections and not by battery connections at Setec. With Loads connected to your TP1230, you will be able to monitor Load output as well as solar input and battery voltage. There are a few members on this forum who have successfully completed this modification including those who have had to do the same when connecting up their MPPT controllers. If LOADS are not connected through the solar controller, there is no way of knowing Load currents. If further questions, please send me a PM.

Reactions: Johnanbev

Ken_61

Sep 9, 2021
Perth, Western Australia
Hi @Ken_61 , and welcome to the forum. There is no need to worry about that if you follow the amended circuit. Just to clear up a few points. The input for the solar panels to controller remains the same and has no bearing on 240 volt charging with Setec. The wiring for the Battery connections to controller remains the same and has no bearing on 240 volt charging with the Setec. The important part to understand is that all the LOADS that used to be distributed by the Setec unit is now routed via the LOAD terminals on solar controller. This also has NO bearing on any charging by the Setec unit. The Setec unit independently charges the battery regardless of any loads that may be on the battery circuit. By directing the loads via the solar controller, battery power is obtained via the solar battery connections and not by battery connections at Setec. With Loads connected to your TP1230, you will be able to monitor Load output as well as solar input and battery voltage. There are a few members on this forum who have successfully completed this modification including those who have had to do the same when connecting up their MPPT controllers. If LOADS are not connected through the solar controller, there is no way of knowing Load currents. If further questions, please send me a PM.
Thanks @Boots in Action, all clear. Rewiring next on my to do list

Ken

Reactions: Boots in Action