Ibis Air Conditioner

anton Smith

Jul 8, 2013
Dunsborough
www.bluewaterbuilding.com.au
I mentioned in one of my threads that my Ibis AC made a thump when shutting down on heat mode. I sent an inquiry to Air Command and I had a phone call from Colin this morning. He agreed that the unit did make a thud and these are his suggestions and recommendations.
  1. Don't run run the unit on Auto mode even though all their literature recommends this setting.
  2. Don't run the fan speed on Low. Always use Med as the minimum speed. His reasoning is that there is alot of back pressure in the unit, especially in heat mode, that builds up and the lower speed cant keep up with releasing this extra pressure. Therefore when the unit shuts down the pressure cause a shudder.
  3. In humid conditions also use Cool mode and Med fan speed as at lower fan speed condensation will build up in the fan and cause a build up of pressure causing a similar result as the heating mode.
Because these units are sold all over the world in different climates the auto function is used, however like he mentioned in Australia if its hot use Cool and if its cold use Heat.

Now to test it out to see if this makes a difference.

@Brad @Burnsy @Paul75 Thought you guys might be interested in this thread.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Thanks for the heads up @anton Smith, I usually select either heat or cool then auto for the fan but i'll make sure the fan is on medium or high from now on. It seems as though Air Command have some work to do with the Ibis!

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
I'm the same as Burnsy. I'll try running the fan on med or high and see if it makes a difference.
Thanks for the post.

The Alberto

Oct 19, 2012
Rockhampton QLD
My IBIS is now 3 years old and was brand new in our van late 2010. I just got back from 9 days in the van with 38+ degree temperatures and the Ibis performed faultlessly (never switched the a/c off for 9 days). Towed the van home yesty, washed the van in the sun (41 degrees) and then put it away in the shed. After doing a few other things we got aroud to cleaning and emptying the inside of the van so I whacked on the A/C. It worked for about 5 min and then came up with E5 error and would not cool. There is a technical bulletin PDF on the internet for IBIS error codes. E5 in cooling mode is the outer coil temperature is equal to or greater than 68 degrees and indicates poor or no air flow over the condensor. It then goes on about checking to make sure the condensor fans are working etc. I got up and checked however from what I could see both fans were functioning properly, however the top of the unit was VERY hot to touch. I turned it off and left it untill about 8pm last night and it worked properly for about 2 hours and again today (around lunchtime and 39 degrees) it worked for about 3 hours without failing (each time I just turned it off). My questions are has anyone else seen this? Even though it appears to now be functioning properly again should I still have it serviced? What are people's thoughts?

Jason18576

Jul 14, 2013
Tivol,Ipswich,QLD
The Alberto had the same thing happen on Saturday it was 48 at home.the ibis would goto 33 and stay there

My IBIS has tump from day one 07 on all a/c setting