I left the tap on!

Micod

Mar 30, 2011
Hi, WELL after many trips in the van, finally I did one of the worst things I could do. I left the inside tap on and got distracted outside. The first I knew is when I saw water pouring out of the back of the van flooring!! (Mind you my 9 yr old was sitting next to the sink watching TV and didnt see or hear a thing! - sound familiar?) anyway..... my fault.
When I finally got inside and was able to turn the sink tap off I can guess that there would of been approx 40 litres of water flooding the area. Fortunately the van was slanting to the back and the water pooled up against the back trunk waiting to pour out the flooring. Obviously the cupboards were flooded and the oven /griller as the water passed them to get out. I quickly mopped up with towels/paper towels etc and finally dried off the joints (seals between cupboard and floor) with a hairdryer to TRY and minimise any water damage.

NOW after that, I please ask..... has this happened to anybody else? Do you think the cupboards / flooring composites will deal with this water ok? The water was there for approx 10 minutes at the most and I dried all that i could see asap. (in fact it took me approx 3 hours to totally be satisfied I had it all) I have opened the van up again to air out. Fortunately we have hot weather at the moment. Any thoughts or suggestions please? Also has anybody installed a safety drain, similiar to ones we have at home in case I be an idiot again? Please be nice!....

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
ouch.
Mostly, it should be ok as it didn't sit in the water for a long time. The timber is wrapped with the laminate surface, so the chances of getting wall in is reduced. However, the edges which aren't wrapped are the cuts ones, in particular the bottom edge in contact with the floor. You may find a small amount of swelling here, but I suspect minimal......

Reactions: Micod

Micod

Mar 30, 2011
Thanks..... yes thats the bit that I was worried about and the internal cuts for wiring and hoses etc. ALthough I tried to dry these areas quickly with a hairdryer... who knows what volume was sucked up. Hopefully it will be ok after a couple of hot days and all opened up..
ouch.
Mostly, it should be ok as it didn't sit in the water for a long time. The timber is wrapped with the laminate surface, so the chances of getting wall in is reduced. However, the edges which aren't wrapped are the cuts ones, in particular the bottom edge in contact with the floor. You may find a small amount of swelling here, but I suspect minimal......

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I wouldn't worry to much micod. I had the water inlet break inside and flood the inside of the seat where the battery goes twice on our old van and flood the floor, not as bad as yours but still no long term damage visable. I don't think the cupboards are MDF or particle board but laminated ply which will with stand some moisture. If you do see swelling, your I trouble and contact your insurer

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Thats a bit of a bummer, cant say I done that, but when we first got our Panda it was parked on the lawn at an angle leaning to the left side. one day after some heavy rain I when inside to find water runnig across the floor from the cupboard where the HWS sits :censored:

Upon inspection it was found to be comming from under the HWS WTF! I decided to turn the hose on the outside above the HWS, yep again water running across the floor :frown: Turns out they hadn't sealed the outside section of the HWS where it goes through the wall.

Levelled the van best I could and covered that side from the roof down with a tarp till it could go back to be repaired, all good now at no sign of any long term damage to cupboards, I even used low pressure compressed air along the seams of cupboards etc to help dry it out

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I'd be inclined to make a report to your insurance so that they have it on file if any problems show up in the next year or so. But I agree with others that you probably sorted it out before a problem occurred. Good luck with it.

Micod

Mar 30, 2011
Hi, Yes thanks to all above who commented. I feel a little better. I will be ringing my insurer soon just to advise in case something shows in a month or two. Thats what we pay insurance for I guess! Thanks again.
I'd be inclined to make a report to your insurance so that they have it on file if any problems show up in the next year or so. But I agree with others that you probably sorted it out before a problem occurred. Good luck with it.