Chassis Hyland Hitch Issue

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
The last couple of times we have used the van I have had trouble getting the Hyland Hitch to release from the ball, with the last time me needing to prize it off with a crow bar at home. Has anyone else had an issue or know of how to overcome this problem.

Cheers
Cracka

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
So what is it that makes the difference?
All of the tow balls I have are slightly different diameters, within fractions of a mil. The one I currently use is showing some wear so i am guessing this causes the sticking. I know the hylands are pretty temperamental with tow ball size.

Reactions: Burnsy

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
If you can change to a DO35, the Hyland drove me nuts and the DO35 is 5kg lighter.

Christian

image0021.jpg

matt

Aug 20, 2011
Brisvegas
both hylands I have had give me grief after towing over corrugated surfaces, or setting up on uneven surfaces, spent many times trying to release and very frustrated, i'll try the new BCF ball , thx for the tip because this monkey goes very ape, luv the hitch otherwise

KATO

Jan 29, 2012
Wollongong N.S.W.
We have the same issue with or hyland hitch that we have on our xpander, however when we had the camper trailer had no issue. The current issue is a very loud clunking sound from the fitting on the ball, looks like I will head out and try this ARK ball.
we have tried setting up the adjustment in the hitch with no luck and was thinking of going the DO35 Christian, but having a 50mm ball on the back is much easier when we need to move the boat and box trailer around.
Chris

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
We have a Hyland Hitch & Yes ours will also get stuck very often, but it doesn't phase us any more.

If yours gets stuck, pull the handbrake on tight & chock the wheels, get a 2nd person to jump in the car & put it in drive & carefully take the brake off or put it in gear & slowly let the clutch out, while you have your hand on the hitch release & it pops up nearly every time. Occasionally you may have to do it once or twice in either direction.

Failing that if it hasnt come free after the 3rd attempt stop & you will notice by this time the hitch pin has come free & will spin freely, pull the pin out of the hitch, put your jockey wheel down so it just starts taking the weight & simply drive away, then you will find the hitch will come free from the ball very easy, works every time.

Also when hitching back up, dont stress if the locking clip wont lock in straight away you will find that it locks in every time as soon as you start to move.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
We have the same issue with or hyland hitch that we have on our xpander, however when we had the camper trailer had no issue. The current issue is a very loud clunking sound from the fitting on the ball, looks like I will head out and try this ARK ball.
we have tried setting up the adjustment in the hitch with no luck and was thinking of going the DO35 Christian, but having a 50mm ball on the back is much easier when we need to move the boat and box trailer around.
Chris

Hi Chris,

I just have another tongue with a tow ball for the trailer makes it easier just to swap the tongue over.

Christian