18' Series Hydrogen Tyres

15Stanners

Apr 7, 2018
Bailey15
Hi Guys
My caravan tyres need topping up and they are currently filled with hydrogen.

Can I top them up with normal air or does it need t be hydrogen?

They are currently sitting at around 30psi so i would need to add around 10psi to each tyre.

Thanks In Advance.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hi Guys
My caravan tyres need topping up and they are currently filled with hydrogen.

Can I top them up with normal air or does it need t be hydrogen?

They are currently sitting at around 30psi so i would need to add around 10psi to each tyre.

Thanks In Advance.
G’day @15Stanners and welcome to the forum. Your tyres are actually filled with nitrogen and as air is around 80% nitrogen, most of us just use air to top up our tyres on the van.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
As @chartrock says its nitrogen which is an inert gas hydrogen isn't, as for topping up with air, thats perfectly OK, Nitrogen is really just a gimmick to suck $$$ from your pocket, for normal day to day it just doesn't do anything, on the race track yeah but just running around nah..................................my old place of work fitted out it's own nitrogen station but after a few years running our long haul rigs, there was bugger all difference between plain old air and the nitrogen, the tyres lasted just as long and the running temps were about the same..... bit like magnets on the fuel line.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
From my distant courses in Chemistry and confirmed by a google search:

Nitrogen gas is slightly lighter than air and slightly soluble in water. It is commonly thought of and used as an inert gas; but it is not truly inert. It forms nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide with oxygen, ammonia with hydrogen, and nitrogen sulfide with sulfur.

Yeah, nit picking...

Anyway, I don't buy the Nitrogen in domestic tyre story at all. If one heads outback and needs to drop tyre pressure for rocky dirt roads, are you going to cart a cylinder of Nitrogen around to pump them back up. I think not.

My Penguin came with Nitrogen filled tyres and that was the last time they ever had Nitrogen pumped into them. If air is good enough for all the cars I have ever owned, then it is good enough for a van.

cheers
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
From my distant courses in Chemistry and confirmed by a google search:

Nitrogen gas is slightly lighter than air and slightly soluble in water. It is commonly thought of and used as an inert gas; but it is not truly inert. It forms nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide with oxygen, ammonia with hydrogen, and nitrogen sulfide with sulfur.

Yeah, nit picking...

Anyway, I don't buy the Nitrogen in domestic tyre story at all. If one heads outback and needs to drop tyre pressure for rocky dirt roads, are you going to cart a cylinder of Nitrogen around to pump them back up. I think not.

My Penguin came with Nitrogen filled tyres and that was the last time they ever had Nitrogen pumped into them. If air is good enough for all the cars I have ever owned, then it is good enough for a van.

cheers
Mike

Going by the Match Test , hydrogen goes Kabloomy while Nitrogen doesn't so near enough inert for me..........lol,lol..........................

Reactions: mikerezny

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ah, cmon Nit picker, even I know air being a vague terminology could actually be either, either........passing of wind can be combustible as well as toxic so I've been told, you have the pics I suppose.????

When we did AV fuel tests the air in the lab wouldn't be far off Kabloomy yet outside the door not so, so not air is air, Sol....lol,lol,lol,.

Reactions: mikerezny

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
To me the nitrogen is a gimmick and waste of time. If you take your van off the bitumen you let half of it out and when back on the bitumen you fill with air. Do this enough times and you have diluted the nitrogen to bugger all.

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
Nitrogen in tyres which are subject to high speed/flexing/heavy braking, is a good idea. As in airplanes and F1 race cars.
Due to the lack of oxygen, the rubber vapour released internally to the tyre cannot combine to combust due to heat generated in high speed/ heavy braking/ flexing.
I don't think you will be able to tow a van up to 193 Knots and fully slam on the anti skid brakes! to achieve the nescessary heat build up to cause one of @Drover kabloomey's
Therefore it really falls into wanker territory, (gimmick) lol.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Nitrogen in tyres which are subject to high speed/flexing/heavy braking, is a good idea. As in airplanes and F1 race cars.
Due to the lack of oxygen, the rubber vapour released internally to the tyre cannot combine to combust due to heat generated in high speed/ heavy braking/ flexing.
I don't think you will be able to tow a van up to 193 Knots and fully slam on the anti skid brakes! to achieve the nescessary heat build up to cause one of @Drover kabloomey's
Therefore it really falls into wanker territory, (gimmick) lol.

Bahahahahahahahahahha....:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: