Hubodometer - to track Expanda's travels

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
As my wife says, if there is a gadget, I will have it... :biggrin1:

So, having a need to have all the gadgets and mods possible, I have purchased a digital hubodometer for the new Expanda so as to track the distances travelled.

As there are no bolts/screw points on the rim, it looks like I will have to either drill a hole in the centre of the clip-on plastic hub covers, or drill and tap into the rim to mount a bracket for the hubodometer.

As the hubodometer weighs 640 grams, I was wondering if mounted to the plastic hub cover, if this would stay on, or if going over a sufficient bump would it dislodge the hub cover and we subsequently loose the hubodemeter.

The collective thoughts of this great forum would be appreciated!

IMG_0721.JPG IMG_0722.JPG IMG_0723.JPG IMG_0724.JPG

Cheers,

Ro

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
What the? I haven't got one of these.
Wife looked over my shoulder and just rolled her eyes in the strangest way.
Says she will WRITE down the distances travelled to ensure I meet service requirements.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Not Sure How much that thing cost But I think You would have been better off just buying a GPS Data Logger that you could have permanently installed in the van out of site and then simply downloaded the info off it once in a while - That way rather than just getting a somewhat +- klms reading - You would get things like Distance Traveled, Speeds, Elevations, Acceleration\Braking Stats and even have it broken down by Day\Month\Time etc.

All that for no more than about $70 if you shop around on the Bay and you could wire it into your van battery.

Sorry Mate - Don't mean to burst any bubbles - I'm a Gadget Man myself and this is just the sort of thing I would buy and then put up on the shelf only to be replaced by something more practical like a GPS logger.

My Opinion is that at over .5kg thing thing (or at least the Hub Cap) is not going to last long..

Cheers

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Wouldn't it also affect the wheel balance?
An extra 600g or so on the outside (even though central to the hub) would require weights to re-balance, no?

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
OK - hubodometer cost $50, so not too expensive. Gives "legally" accurate distance travelled, so easy to just glance at and see how far we have travelled.

Zerosecta - love your idea of a GPS Data Logger - Already looking on FleaBay.

Matty4 - privided I drill the hole in the centre of the hub cover, then balance is not an issue.

Cheers,

Ro

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
A little more involved than a simple data logger - But if you got one of these or similar - You can attach a Siren to it, Stick a pay as you go sim in it and you then not only have a GPS data logger but also a full blown Security System that when armed (by sending a SMS to it), will SMS you if it is moved from within a few meters of where it was armed from - Your driveway for example. You can then give the cops up to date co-ordinates every few seconds or minutes of where it is so that they can recover it for you.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VEHICLE-...789?pt=AU_Electronics_GPS&hash=item4152b7f905

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
zerosecta - saw them while looking after your previous reply.

They look like a fantastic idea, particularly from a security aspect. A Telstra Pre-Paid SIM card with a 12 month life is only $70 dollars. A good insurance policy.

With the low voltage draw and motion sensor to save battery, looks like it can be connected directly to one of the 100AH 12v batteries in the van, there is little chance of the battery going flat.

Now - where to put it so that it is not obvious and easy to remove?

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Only your Imagination Limits you on that Mate, but yes you would want it somewhere hidden - Although with that said, I think you would get the SMS and have the cops recover your van before they even have an opportunity to stop and high five each other over the fact that they think they just got away with ripping a van off.